Just went Dark

05classic

.020 Over
Put a Riken Raptor 225/55zr on I like it Have 1K on it different not bad to get used to.
Look cool too. Get a lot of wide eyed looks!

Welcome to the "Dark Side"! I'm not currently a "Dark Sider", but will be on the next tire I have to purchase. Had a Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread on my 2 Suzukis. Loved 'em! Especially in the rain.

you want a darkside Captain's opinion? Stay with a 225/50. Let some air out on those Dragon runs and still have clearance. I swear a tripp on the Dragon will strip miles off a skin, with the muscle of the FBG. It has to be mushy on the twisties to lay down the equivalent patch as a Metz. Look at Killboy.com for the results. Those that run a low PSI, on their darksider, had ample sunshine and great ground patch on the Dragon. I ran too high.

I didn't and don't see any after the fact: sparks flying

Last edited:
I have been running about 35-36 or so in my Goodyear Eagle . . plenty of grip. BUT . . I'm also 260 and almost always have Deb with me too . . makes a difference

Last edited:
Welcome to the Darkside, Classic. Your cookie should arrive shortly. I'll be heading down to Leander for my daughter's graduation in a few weeks. It would be great to meet up with you but I'm afraid that other commitments will prevent it. Maybe some other trip.

I gotta disagree with you Heritic on the 50 series vs 55 series. With a 225/50, you end up with a slightly smaller diameter tire which ends up causing you to run at a higher rpm at any given speed. If you are drag racing all the time, then maybe its a good idea. You also end up with a greater speedo error.

The 225/55 is only 1% larger in circumference than the stock 240/50. This helps with the speedo error and also lowers your rpms slightly. Good for cruising.

Now the pressure tips are right on. The sweet spot on the Riken is 28-32 lbs. I run 30 solo, 32 when 2-up.

I went dark myself right before the tour de dragon.
My raptor had 4 miles on it when I set sail for N.C.
I had to much pressure in it the first time down and it was a real fight.
Got back to the motel and dropped it by 5 lbs, and the second time was a blast.
I've got the 225x55x16 vr rated.
According to Lons GPS, I'm still off by 7mph at 100 mph.

you want a darkside Captain's opinion? Stay with a 225/50. Let some air out on those Dragon runs and still have clearance. I swear a tripp on the Dragon will strip miles off a skin, with the muscle of the FBG. It has to be mushy on the twisties to lay down the equivalent patch as a Metz. Look at Killboy.com for the results. Those that run a low PSI, on their darksider, had ample sunshine and great ground patch on the Dragon. I ran too high.

I didn't and don't see any after the fact: sparks flying

I've go ta 225/50/16 Rikon Raptor for anybody who wants it and can pick it up or cover shipping. Its got about 3K miles on it, good tread left. Its seen some spirited driving however, including some pretty serious spinning due to the supercharger. The sidecar also causes a bit of wear ... but hell, its free if you want it.

I'm moving to a 245.

Cooper

I just changed out a Yoko 245 (out of necessity to a blow-out on the way to Maggie) to a Cooper 245. The Cooper handles MUCH better than the Yoko....why? I have no idea. At first, my only complaint was it didn't want to hook up but that was corrected with lowering the air pressure. The only time I can tell I'm running a darkside is on a cambered surface or uneven pavement. I can't feel any ridge at all when going into a curve and had no problems with it on "The Tail". I like it much better than the Yoko and the Mezzlers I've prematurely worn out. It actually holds the corners better than the Mezzlers! Plus, it isn't costing me about a hundred dollars a month for tire replacement.

Back