Incorporeal13

Standard Bore
Hello I would just like to introduce myself. I am a 22 year old tattoo artist from western PA. I currently ride a VTX1300 but am saving for a Triumph R3. I was curious though if people here feel that the bike may be too much for me. A local custom bike builder said it was too much for him to take when he rode it, hinting that it would be too much for me as well. I am of decent height at 6 foot 1. But i am a mere 150lbs. My riding experience is about 10,000 miles. Basically i love the design of the R3 And the fact that i wouldnt be another carbon copy hd rider in the area :D. no offense to those who do. Anyhow i look forward to any responses i recieve and to share the forums with you all.

Justin

There are other riders with about as much experience as you who jumped to the Rocket with no problems. The Rocket is pretty heavy, but the VTX, even the 1300 is no light weight either. ANd like the VTX, the Rocket carries alot of weight down low, so it steers pretty light. I would say go take a test ride. Yes, the Rocket has monster torque and horse power and will eat your VTX alive, but really, the Rocket is an easy-to-ride bike.

The throttle control is great and it will ride as friendly as you want. Twist the throttle though, and she will let you know that there really is 140ci of power there...:eek:

Welcome to the site. The Rocket is a lot of bike but it is very versatile all depends on how you want to ride it. I think you'll be happy with it.

No Problem

First, Welcome to the site...... even if you haven't gotten your Captain's license as yet. Hopefully you'll find a lot of information that will help you determine what you need. We have both men and women who ride the R3 and no complaints about handling. I think it's got one of the best Low CG's in bikedom! It seems to handle as well around a parking lot as on an Interstate. Tell your motorcycle adviser to hop on his Moped and take his advice with him.

Before purchase........ practice a lot of grinning!

welcome

hey justin,
welcome to the forum. i would also recommend a test ride,that way you'll know with some certainty as to whether or not you are suited for the rocket. take it easy at first,then take more of her as you feel comfortable.the acceleration is very abrupt if you nail the throttle hard,so be aware of your surroundings. things can get really crazy in a big hurry if you're not prepared to cope. after you become familiar with some of the power/torque,take her to a parking lot and do some low speed turns and stops.i think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you find.hope you fall for her like i did, the rocket is indeed a very special bike......

greg :D

I just started riding last year and my first bike was the rocket. Every one told me if I bought a small bike I would be wanting to replace it in a matter of months. So I took the advise and went on a search for the biggest bike I could find. I haven't had the bike a year yet and have already logged over 7000 miles. Bigger is better and size does matter. Go for it.

Thankyou very much everyone for the advise. I am going to set up a test ride in week or so. As far as what I am looking for basically i want great acceleration. I like to get to 50 or 60 quick ;) but I am not a huge fan of going over that. I like to cruise around back roads as we have alot out here in western PA. as well as highway use and some city. I like the size of the VTX but wouldnt mind a bigger bike by any means (though i think it was a good bike to learn to ride on). If the throttle is as you say i am not one to slam the throttle so i am not as worried about the power as i was. I am a cautious rider what can I say. That and as i have read it handles very well for its size. I look forward to takeing a test ride and i am sure falling even more in love with the bike. Should have the money saved by early-mid summer:D

By all means take the test ride but I think you have already made up your mind. Welcome to the place where the arms just keep getting longer. I'll be picking up my 2nd R3 this weekend, a virgin red 06', just like the last one. One of the beauties of the beast is it's intimidation factor and it's surprising agility for it's unequaled size.

I am 5'8" and 160lbs Arnie I ain't. My biggest problem with the Rocket is pushing that monster out of the garage. Once you get it moving, you will never know that it is so big. It handles very well at both low and high speeds. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except maybe 2 more.
Dave
06 Classic R&W

Back