Just Purchased a Basket Case ... Need Help ... Lots of it.

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
I just purchased this basket case. It is 2005 and had some issues with the final drive and the output in the back of the engine. I don't have the details yet. Original owner took it to the new Triumph dealer here and they did this. They have no idea of what they are doing.

I need some help from you guys.

I know I'm going to need an Up-Date Kit. Would any of you guys who have multiple kits or a kit you are not going to use be willing to let go of one ... PLEASE. Silver or Black is OK.

There are at least a few accessories I am going to sell or trade.

Or I may just sell or trade the all parts as they are.

What can we do ?

I am going to go pick it up this afternoon. I have to go to the store and buy several large plastic storage bins. I will let you know what I need after I get it home and do a thorough inventory and inspection.

Edit: This is a one owner bike. When I picked it up today I asked him what had happened that made him take in for repair. He said he road the bike 2 blocks from his house to the gas station. It shifted a little funny. Meaning it was not normal to him, hard to shift and popped out of gear. When he got ready to leave the station, it would not go into gear. Not first or second. He pushed it home. He said he had no other problem before this. I doubt he would have used more than third gear (maybe only second ) on the ride to the station. The 2 blocks from his house to the station are residential back streets with 20 mph speed limit. The bike has 42,000 miles on it.

00202_3jYSse7Dqyg_600x450.jpg

01717_eNSaCMhHXpT_600x450.jpg

00L0L_apKnEDpdFK8_600x450.jpg

01414_4L0l9In0odJ_600x450.jpg

00z0z_jab5xQlhCGg_600x450.jpg

00101_3N1BPjNT9et_600x450.jpg

00h0h_cBfe5QEMiSP_600x450.jpg

00n0n_4XxFaCrA1Pr_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. They wanted $5600 to fix it and put it back together. I'm waiting on a copy of the repair order so I can see exactly what needed to be fixed.

I'm sure it was just the detent spring ....... :thumbsdown:

My thought too Paul. They took the entire bike apart and the entire engine. They stripped off everything from the front of the engine and everything off the back of the engine. It looks like they split the cases too. I've got a lot of work to do to put it back together. Not sure if I should, or just part it out.

Last edited:
Did the terribad dealership give him a bill of work that he turned down? If so it should have all parts necessary to repair the problem.

If not, it's going to be a fun game of strip the engine and figure out what's wrong.

On a plus note, you can just turn it upside down and pull the cases apart to get at the trans and output section. Leave the head on and the crank and pistons alone. Minimizes your work.

Back