Just joined and wanted to say "Hello".

foxviewnet

With foxes we must play the fox!
Ride
2007 Rocket iii Classic 2006 Yamaha Vmax
Hey R3 owners,
My name is Chris and I just purchased a 2007 R3 Classic today. I am in Huntsville AL and just drove it home from Chattsworth GA. First tank of fuel was 36 mpg and had a great ride home.
My other bike is a Vmax and just wasn't giving me much range or comfort when my wife and I ride and I have been looking at the R3 for quite a while. Finally pulled the trigger today and not disappointed! I hope to get to know this bike and wanted to join you guys and meet other R3 owners. Thanks for having me aboard! :)

Welcome fox
Very interested in your take on the performance of the Rock vs. the Vmax. I always thought they were really cool bikes.
Jay

WELCOME, Fox . . . from WA State!
Love your handle!
Add your "Huntsville, AL" to your avatar so all know when responding to you.

IMG_2252.JPG

Thanks Bull, I finally figured out how to nail that location tab!

You should consider riding to the June Maggie Valley get together and meet some fine Rocketeers! Only an easy day ride for you - lucky dog!

Welcome fox
Very interested in your take on the performance of the Rock vs. the Vmax. I always thought they were really cool bikes.
Jay

Hey Jay, thanks for the welcome. I have to say that after the riding a Gen 1 Vmax I felt like all other bikes were arid and uninteresting. Don't get me wrong...I have a great desire to observe and understand other rider's passions but the Vmax was a long awaited desire come to fruition for me. What got me interested in the R3 was just seeing one ease by me on an afternoon ride with my wife last year. That rider may be on this forum from around the Russellville, AL area. Anyway he was riding 2 up with his wife or GF and I thought... "That is really a tiny little lady on the back or that is a beast of a bike!". So later, with intrigue I Googled Triumph to see what bike they were building that looked like a polished barbarian Philistine and there it was. So, that's when it all started for me.

The Vmax is powerful, so big grins are self-regulating just like the R3. However the contrasts between the R3 and the Vmax are as many as the similarities. It's like two gorgeous ladies that have different personalities, architecture, and perplexities but both make your heart race when they walk in the room. Well, that is how I see it in my mind, lol.

The Vmax has an incredible launch and then V-boost comes in at 3K rpm like a shot of NOS. So you feel the changes in the powerband up to 9K with expectation. The R3 has instant torque as soon as you twist but it really doesn't vary much. Feels more precise and controlled. Another thing that I notice is that you feel like you are riding the R3 and not wearing it. R3 riding position is superior and you have a sense of the size and mass that is being discharged down range like a truck.

The R3 is so much more comfortable and lends itself to long enjoyable rides without the fatigue. I am looking for a gas station at 100 miles on the Vmax and glad to get off and stretch as well as filler-up (4 Gallon Tank Capacity). Also the tank is under the seat which gives you a lower center of gravity but can make for awkward, untidy fill ups if you aren't careful. The faux tank on the Max is hiding the air box underneath and no other function except aesthetics. It is a uniquely designed muscle bike. Of course when you twist the throttle, none of these minute issues even cross your mind. I think I could fuel up the R3 at the pump and never even get off the bike, lol!

One great feature of the R3 is fuel injection. Instant starting with no choke in cooler weather. My Max hates to be choked and is only engaged in cooler weather. Otherwise she will start instantly at 70 degrees and up without any help. All performance mods have to be calibrated carefully with jetting and carb syncing. The R3 ECU can be remapped without much ado with slight changes. This is very appealing when the Mod Monkey comes a callin'.

All this being said, I am fascinated with both bikes for different reasons. With the R3, you get the best of both worlds and enjoy comfort, performance and riding a unique bike. I have come to the conclusion that I will be selling the Vmax and giving my loyalty to just one bike. I cannot see myself maintaining both and not riding them both. Hard decision for me to make but it just makes sense. I also look forward to doing a few upgrades and performance mods just to get my feet wet with this bone-stock R3...Cheers!

Back