just completed 4,000 mile plus ride

Steamer97

Steamer97
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3, 1986 V-max, 1972 Triumph Daytona
Greetings Rocketmen,
I Rode my roadster from north of Chicago to Seattle and back last week. had to stop for a new rear tire on the way home. Had checked it and was lazy, didn't check entire circumference. A motorist saw me putt'n through Miles City Montana and told me he saw cord. lucky me, $400 extra in hotel and same day shipping charges. Metzler was difficult to obtain timely so on reading on this forum, got a bridgestone excedra max the next day. (As shown by my "talking speedometer" phone app) this tire's slightly greater circumference corrected my 4 mph optimistic speedometer reading to a near perfect correctness. (More tread helped I bet!). I wonder how much it will affect the abs braking in an emergency.
I was concerned that on warmup the transmission or final drive was so noisy. I even had a dealer ride it, they didn't know much more than I. I figured it hadn't got worse in thousands of miles, so I rode it back that way. It is still noisy as heck and I hate that clunky effect. Is this a common trait? Mine is a 2012 roadster. Also, if there is a member on here close to my location (Harvard, Illinois) and has touring bars installed, I would like to meet and feel how they are before I purchase. My one complaint of the comfort level on my ride (besides wind and rain the first 2,000 miles!) is that the angle is unnatural for (my body configuration) a long ride and I cannot relax my grip very much causing hand fatigue. I wonder what cruise control is used successfully. I would just use it in short intervals to relax my throttle hand. even a throttle brake would serve that purpose. Electronic ones are mainly for drive by wire I suppose but I like that gadgetry. I appreciate your time and consideration for any insight or input on my questions/wonderings. Ted.

Mccruise is the only electronic one I know of, will hold speed not just throttle position.

I share your pain after about 400 miles a day my hand protests a bit too, bringing the bars back will help some, but the biggest help is cleaning the cables and tube and ensuring there's no binding or gunk/dirt under the tube to let is smoothly move.

Nice trip, wish I could do the same!

Greetings Rocketmen,
I Rode my roadster from north of Chicago to Seattle and back last week. had to stop for a new rear tire on the way home. Had checked it and was lazy, didn't check entire circumference. A motorist saw me putt'n through Miles City Montana and told me he saw cord. lucky me, $400 extra in hotel and same day shipping charges. Metzler was difficult to obtain timely so on reading on this forum, got a bridgestone excedra max the next day. (As shown by my "talking speedometer" phone app) this tire's slightly greater circumference corrected my 4 mph optimistic speedometer reading to a near perfect correctness. (More tread helped I bet!). I wonder how much it will affect the abs braking in an emergency.
I was concerned that on warmup the transmission or final drive was so noisy. I even had a dealer ride it, they didn't know much more than I. I figured it hadn't got worse in thousands of miles, so I rode it back that way. It is still noisy as heck and I hate that clunky effect. Is this a common trait? Mine is a 2012 roadster. Also, if there is a member on here close to my location (Harvard, Illinois) and has touring bars installed, I would like to meet and feel how they are before I purchase. My one complaint of the comfort level on my ride (besides wind and rain the first 2,000 miles!) is that the angle is unnatural for (my body configuration) a long ride and I cannot relax my grip very much causing hand fatigue. I wonder what cruise control is used successfully. I would just use it in short intervals to relax my throttle hand. even a throttle brake would serve that purpose. Electronic ones are mainly for drive by wire I suppose but I like that gadgetry. I appreciate your time and consideration for any insight or input on my questions/wonderings. Ted.

You can't beat the BrakeAway Throttle Lock no matter what anyone else suggests here unless you want to do the full electronics. I have used it on three bikes... it works and it is the safest one on the market. Click it and it locks your throttle, but it can still be gently tweaked against the resistance. You can instantly release it manually with the push of a button or tap your front brake and it releases instantly as well. A fine piece of precision manufacturing I might add.

I find after 2½ hours of riding you gotta stop for gas. Gives you 5 mins off the bike to rest the hand before the next 2½ hours of fun.

You need to learn how to relax your grip on the Rocket.

I sometimes only have my thumb and fore finger holding the throttle open on the long straights and flex my other fingers while doing this.

I do have risers on my bars so are a bit higher and closer to me.

I find after 2½ hours of riding you gotta stop for gas. Gives you 5 mins off the bike to rest the hand before the next 2½ hours of fun.

You need to learn how to relax your grip on the Rocket.

I sometimes only have my thumb and fore finger holding the throttle open on the long straights and flex my other fingers while doing this.

I do have risers on my bars so are a bit higher and closer to me.
I could tell that the bars needed to be closer to me. Risers or diff. bars are two things that will help I am confident. Thx, Ted.

You can't beat the BrakeAway Throttle Lock no matter what anyone else suggests here unless you want to do the full electronics. I have used it on three bikes... it works and it is the safest one on the market. Click it and it locks your throttle, but it can still be gently tweaked against the resistance. You can instantly release it manually with the push of a button or tap your front brake and it releases instantly as well. A fine piece of precision manufacturing I might add.
That's a nice piece Bedifferent, thanks for that info. Ted.

Mccruise is the only electronic one I know of, will hold speed not just throttle position.

I share your pain after about 400 miles a day my hand protests a bit too, bringing the bars back will help some, but the biggest help is cleaning the cables and tube and ensuring there's no binding or gunk/dirt under the tube to let is smoothly move.

Nice trip, wish I could do the same!
I will work on your suggestion and make sure cables and inner grip are clean and as free as they can be. Haha, reminds me of my dopey attempt on my v-max years ago. I greased the throttle tube! It wouldn't even return to idle!

Back