Just bought a big old girl

Dale914

.020 Over
Ride
05 Red Rocket
I just picked up an 05 with about 26k miles. It's set up for cruising with Corbin seats and bags, it has outlaw pipes, cat bypass, windshield, 4 instrument pods and friction cruise control. It has a slight oil leak out of both its front forks, just a bit after a ride, it also has a bald, chorded buldging front tire, and a 225 car tire on the rear which despite what anyone says, does not handle well, or predictable.
Brief history: first bike was a CBR F4i, then a shadow, decided I wanted a fast cruiser and got a V-max, then I wanted a predictable and comfortable version and got this.
First thing I need to do are put two motorcycle tires on. Secondly, do I need to hurry up and fix the fork seals or wait till it's a proper leak? Third, the previous owner said that he didn't remap the computer once he did the exhaust, does it need to get done? Are there cheap barter ways to get it done? I know that I'll have to if I go with k&n pods which I may do, and may do a single exhaust, but I'm also inclined to leave well enough alone. Thanks, and hi!

Welcome, general consensus is either Avon Cobra, or Bridgestone Excedra MAX for tires. I'm guessing you have a roadster, someone with one will give you tire sizes. Mapping is relatively easy with a $20 cord and a computer. @HansO is the man with the maps if he has all your bike info, You have come to the right site for information, a very helpful bunch of captains on this site.
HOWEVER....:whitstling:.....some of the lads get pretty passionate about darkside vs. motorcycle tire:x3:......you may have to take a little abuse for that:laugh:, dont worry, its all part of the initiation:thumbsup:.
Ride safe and enjoy.

Welcome from Florida,Dale the fork seals leaking will adversely affect the handling I'd take care of that asap as far as tires Roadster riders can tell you what you need

welcome from arizona
i am not a darkside fan but i don't think u could expect to have good handling on a bald front tire. darkside or mc.:rolleyes:

an 05 is not a roadster.
very little oil in the forks so u will be empty in a little while.
there are threads on the forks if u search.
mc or darkside depends on the roads u ride and how u ride. lots of good threads on the subject:roll::roll::roll:

Nice! Talk about a warm welcome! I'll try that on the seals, I'm looking at the avons, I've had the metzlers on the Max and they were unimpressive, but not bad in any way, other than more traction would be more better. As far as roadster or not, I thought there was only one type/model/edition made in 05, but I know very little so far. As far as where I am, I live in Boise and Portland, but work out of Minnesota this month and Denver next, so the bike is about to be ridden from Boise to Denver. Also the crash bars were both broken off at the engine mount, I'd like to fix that, the previous owner suggested JB Weld, but will that work?
Now let's see if I can do pics. It sounds like the previous owner was on this forum, if I can get any info about that I'd appreciate that as I'd like to see a bit more of what the bike has been through to get a more comprehensive picture of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 0
You can get that Seal Mate tool at most m/c shops, Cycle gear has em, also at high end bicycle shops that sell mountain bikes. They're even the same size tool!
As @Sensfan said, most on here go Avon Cobra on the front - Bridgestone Excedra Max on the rear. Make sure if you go with the Excedra you get the MAX & not just the regular Excedra! Big difference! :thumbsup:
Uhhhhhh,h good luck with the crash bar fix o_O

Back