Just bought a 2008 R3 Classic with 2500 miles on it has been sitting 3 years. What service needed?

RocketFuture

.020 Over
Ride
2008 R3 Classic, 2004 1100 Yamaha Classic
I bought a 2008 R3 Classic with about 2500 miles on it. The owner had bought it new in 2010 then rode it some the next few years but it has been sitting in his garage the last 3 years. Tires still look good no weather checking. He said he started it up occasionally. He also said he had the 500 service done so I would assume the final drive oil has been changed and also the break in engine oil. I thought it would be a good idea to have my MC mechanic take a good look at it since it had sat for a while but they can't get it in for 2 weeks. I've put about 300 miles on it and it seems to run fine. I just got oil and a filter for it since I figured I should probably change it even though not many miles it has set a while. Is there anything else that you guys recommend I or my mechanic check or service?

Thanks!

I bought a 2008 R3 Classic with about 2500 miles on it. The owner had bought it new in 2010 then rode it some the next few years but it has been sitting in his garage the last 3 years. Tires still look good no weather checking. He said he started it up occasionally. He also said he had the 500 service done so I would assume the final drive oil has been changed and also the break in engine oil. I thought it would be a good idea to have my MC mechanic take a good look at it since it had sat for a while but they can't get it in for 2 weeks. I've put about 300 miles on it and it seems to run fine. I just got oil and a filter for it since I figured I should probably change it even though not many miles it has set a while. Is there anything else that you guys recommend I or my mechanic check or service?

Thanks!
7 year old rubber is probably dry rotted, though it may not look it, and not safe, generally.
I'd change the tires if you are going to actually ride the bike.
Definitely change out the oil and filter

What @JRock said! Plus if it were me I'd probably flush and fill the radiator, expect a little rough running because there's likely some water in the gas, and I'd change the final drive fluid too. While your changing the rear tire, grease the splines. That'd be it. Happy rocketing!!!

Thanks!
I have an '05 and love it. Happy Rocketing!!

I would check to see if it has the eastern beaver kit has been installed. If it has not been installed yet I would stop riding it till it was installed. The only thing you would mess up is the ignition switch so not that big of a deal. :p

Back