Jumps out of first gear?

Rocketdave

.020 Over
Ride
2010 R3T black and cream
Recent bike purchase (few weeks ago). Took her out for a run today and she jumped out of first a couple of times when accelerating from the junctions in a built up area (most of my riding to date has been motorways). On one of instances I gently let the clutch out with my foot on the gear pedal and it ‘clunked’ in to place. Is there a problem brewing or is it just me getting used to the bike or do I need to adjust any (clutch?).

Recent bike purchase (few weeks ago). Took her out for a run today and she jumped out of first a couple of times when accelerating from the junctions in a built up area (most of my riding to date has been motorways). On one of instances I gently let the clutch out with my foot on the gear pedal and it ‘clunked’ in to place. Is there a problem brewing or is it just me getting used to the bike or do I need to adjust any (clutch?).
My feeling is poor clutch adjustment. These gen 1 Rockets have a finicky clutch. Adjusted poorly and it shifts difficult(clunky), leads to partial gear engagement and missed shifts.

My suggestion before you dive into a detent spring, is make sure your clutch adjustment is perfect!

If you are uncertain of how that’s done, pm me I’ll give you my phone number and I’ll walk you thru it.

I don't see what year your bike is, not sure it matters. My 06 would jump out of 1st gear if I gave it the beans and shortly b4 I traded it shifting gears sounded like a sledgehammer hitting an anvil! bit unsettling and my biggest excuse for trading it.

My feeling is poor clutch adjustment. These gen 1 Rockets have a finicky clutch. Adjusted poorly and it shifts difficult(clunky), leads to partial gear engagement and missed shifts.

My suggestion before you dive into a detent spring, is make sure your clutch adjustment is perfect!

If you are uncertain of how that’s done, pm me I’ll give you my phone number and I’ll walk you thru it.
Many thanks for this. I’m very aware the idiosyncrasies of this beast so hence the question. I think I’ll Check/adjust the clutch first before I look at the detent spring but appreciate the feedback from everyone (I like this forum!).

I don't see what year your bike is, not sure it matters. My 06 would jump out of 1st gear if I gave it the beans and shortly b4 I traded it shifting gears sounded like a sledgehammer hitting an anvil! bit unsettling and my biggest excuse for trading it.
Hi. It’s a 2010 R3T so hopefully all/mods have already been done so I’m hoping it’s nothing serious.

How many miles? And have you changed the oil yet? Mine did it when I first got it new, tore the front end apart and nothing was wrong, put it all back together and adjusted every thing clutch and it's been fine ever since.

Back