Jumping out of 2nd gear syndrome

ozrider

2008 Standard
Ride
2008 Standard
Having read up on the issues with the earlier model bikes I took the chance when I brought a 2006 Classic.
Its been trouble free, but at 62000 Kms and it has just started to jump out of 2nd gear, I am kicking myself for not getting the update kit last year when I was thinking about getting one as they were around $200.00, they are now over $1200.00

Spoke to the service manager at the local Triumph dealership and he got straight back to me and said under goodwill Triumph will spring for the update kit but since I'm not the original owner they will have to charge labor, he was happy for me to save a few dollars by taking the engine out and dropping it to them, a win win

@Mittzy happened to call in for a coffee just at the right time to help drop the engine while I lifted the frame.

Thankyou to the other members on here who have done this before and posted up pictures and mentioned the pitfalls to look out for as it made it alot easier.

engine out1.jpg

engine out2.jpg

Thanks mate and time for a coffee :) @Mittzy

engine out3.jpg

let us know what the damages are when you get er back, mine only jumps out of 2nd if i'm getting on it from 1st to 2nd and then it will just not engage but i'm at 23000 miles and it's really my only complaint with the bike...

Its great that the steeler allowed you to save some money and take the engine out. I wish I had bought a couple kits when I ordered the extra one I have in stock. Of course just in case I bought a complete transmission out of a low mileage 2011 Touring. Ya never know when you might break something :D

Last edited:
Having read up on the issues with the earlier model bikes I took the chance when I brought a 2006 Classic.
Its been trouble free, but at 62000 Kms and it has just started to jump out of 2nd gear, I am kicking myself for not getting the update kit last year when I was thinking about getting one as they were around $200.00, they are now over $1200.00

Spoke to the service manager at the local Triumph dealership and he got straight back to me and said under goodwill Triumph will spring for the update kit but since I'm not the original owner they will have to charge labor, he was happy for me to save a few dollars by taking the engine out and dropping it to them, a win win

@Mittzy happened to call in for a coffee just at the right time to help drop the engine while I lifted the frame.

Thankyou to the other members on here who have done this before and posted up pictures and mentioned the pitfalls to look out for as it made it alot easier.

engine out1.jpg

engine out2.jpg

Thanks mate and time for a coffee :) @Mittzy

engine out3.jpg
WOW.......... WHAT A JOB

Back