Judder spring or NO judder spring?

cootertwo

Living Legend
Ride
2013, & 2 05's R3R, 2006, 2004 Harley's, 2004 Kaw
Hi all. I've been reading, searching, and viewing you tube videos, and am still a bit cornfused? I have a Barnett clutch set, with springs, I'm about to install in my 2005 Rocket, that has 58,000 miles on her clock. I've read that some people leave the judder spring out. If so, do you leave the judder spring, and the thin washer/plate behind it out? or just the curved judder spring? Also read where the judder spring has been seen installed both ways? bevel towards the back, bevel towards the front??? I was also concerned about the different lifter pieces that appear in the older and newer models. I've ordered parts for both, as I also have a 2013 model Roadster. So in reality, from what I've read, I won't know what I have until I take her apart. But I would like to do away with the judder thing.
Reason for clutch job, is she will slip in 4th or 5th, when full power is applied. Also having a bit of a time shifting into 3rd, 4th and even 5th, "sometimes". I think it has some warped plates, dragging, causing the shifting irregularities. Clutch was adjusted with NO free play when I bought it. I also have ordered the lifter pieces (both styles) and a couple of lifter shafts, just in case. Also I want to try to eye ball the detent spring. Have a few of them on the way too. Should be fun, I hope. Oh, also a set of Samco silicone hoses for the re-install. Here is a link to the 3 part you tube clutch job. Some really good info.

Well I am using the mtc fibers which all have the same inside diameter which eill not fit over the anti judder spring and washer thus the need to remove. That being said are all the inside diameters of the barnet fibers the same or is the rear one larger? If larger then I'd use the spring set up. If not then you'll have to leave it out. You will be able to see the detent spring but to chang it you will have to remove the clutch basket to change it. As for the lifter piece I suspect you have the old style. I did not watch the video but if its thst feller across the pond its a good video. His is a 08 but for some reason it has the old style lifter piece, bearing and pressure plate my guess is triumph was short on partd and stuffed the old style in on the line. In order to use the new style you have two options buy a new pressure plate and ball roller bearing, along with a new style lifter piece. Or find a machine shop to bore old plate out for the new bearing. Now while your thinking about it. Remember yours has not failed it might be burn some with the lifter shaft but thats probably from the improper adjustment you referred to. Which might have been adjusted wrong because of the warped steels dragging so they thought they could get it to release more eliminating the free play. Also it could be the steels are warped from improper freeplay taking pressure off the clutch pack. Note if the lifter shaft is burnt and worn from the improper adjustment the loss of lifter shaft material might not be pulling the lifter piece far enough to free the clutch. Another cause of dragging making it hard to shift. That being said I would open her up inspect and evaluate.

This past summer i had replaced a broken shifter detent spring....and LOOK what i found inside my 2008 r3t ..I was the first inside this bike, i believe, cause i could not find any marks of someone being inside before. I guess mine was assembled on "extra" day?
10-22-17 731.jpg

This past summer i had replaced a broken shifter detent spring....and LOOK what i found inside my 2008 r3t ..I was the first inside this bike, i believe, cause i could not find any marks of someone being inside before. I guess mine was assembled on "extra" day?
10-22-17 731.jpg
No its because the brits drink warm beer:D

WoW! Now it's going to be like opening a Christmas present. And I'm pretty sure the plates are warped, warp, cause if you ease the clutch out, it acts as if it has a high/low spot. Fun fun fun.:) Oh, and yes, Warp, the Barnett set I have does have the one friction plate with the larger opening.

Last edited:
Well, installed the Barnett clutch set, with the heavier springs. And I purposely left out the judder spring, and it's back-up washer, even though the Barnett set has the first friction plate with the larger inside diameter. And guess what? I have a judder! Live and learn. Undecided if I'll tear back into it or not. Only judders occasionally when slowly releasing the clutch. I'm hoping it will sort itself out with a little wear in and adjustment.:rolleyes:

Good ole Benny,that's one project i know I'd rather not attempt. I wish he'd do more how to do videos. Anyone want to post a how to flush and refill the radiator after the fact....the owners handbook doesn't give much info or directions and recommends taking it to an authorized dealer .

Back