joined the ranks & a shock question

styledsky

Standard Bore
Ride
'16 R3R
Well, this happened. Picked up my '16 R3R yesterday. Bit of a change from my previous bike (worked XV1600A) but I've wanted an R3 since I first saw a poster shot of one in '05 in a bike magazine. In essence it was the bike that tipped me over the line to getting a motorcycle licence, so this day was always going to happen.

The main concern at the moment is that when trying to set the preload, one of the shocks won't let me set it to 5. 4 yes, but when you turn to 5 it rather aggressively resets to 1. Is this likely to be a faulty shock? I was planning on eventually upgrading them to the Ikon 7610-1650-SP8s but am wondering if that needs to be a sooner rather than later task?

Welcome from Brissy Mate
I have upgraded my shocks a few times but finally found Wilbers 640 the best for me.
630 / 640

A little lubrication and try again. Sometimes dirt get in the mechanism and impedes it from turning. Also, unloading the shock before you turn the preload adjusted also helps.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Mine used to move OK with the tommy bar in the tool kit.

I found that the stock setting was pretty good for most things but increasing the pre-load would make the bike turn in easier. However the downside was if you hit a big bump you got fired out the seat. Changed to Hagon gas shocks with adjustable pre load and compression and now have better handling and compliant suspension.

Welcome from another Melbournian, mine will adjust to all settings without too much effort... I'd go back to the dealer and get it sorted.

Back