CanberraR3

Living Legend
Ride
Triumphs, but no Rocket just now.
Can anyone point me at a discussion thread that compares the two? Grateful for any personal opinions also. I already have cat eliminator and can get new TORS for less than 2nd hand Jardine. I prefer the look of the Triumph mufflers but interested in comparative sound and performance. For what it's worth, I trust my Triumph dealer to be able to tune it correctly whichever way I go. True.

I have had both the TORs/cat eliminator and I now run Jardines.

The Jardines, with correct mapping are worth a good 10-12 HP over the TORs/cat eliminator set up because the restrictive head pipe is also replaced. I never had my bike on the dyno with the TORs.. but I am currently at about 142HP / 140lbs/ft of torque at the rear wheel with the Jardines.. (I also run a PCIII which I had for both exhausts..)

I like the sound of both. The TORs are raspy.. that's the best I can describe it. They sound really cool.. and are not offensively loud. The Jardines have a DEEP rumble at idle... You can feel if you stand near it. They are much louder than the TORs, but I don't think they are obnoxious.. I go to a local bike night with a gillion Harleys and my Jardines aren't that loud unless I rap them good.. :)

I do find that Jardines are a little annoying on long trips because I wear a full face helmet on those trips and the deep sound resonates in the helmet. But, I am very happy with them and won't be swapping back anytime soon.. :)

... The Jardines have a DEEP rumble at idle... You can feel if you stand near it. They are much louder than the TORs, but I don't think they are obnoxious.. I go to a local bike night with a gillion Harleys and my Jardines aren't that loud unless I rap them good.. :)

I do find that Jardines are a little annoying on long trips because I wear a full face helmet on those trips and the deep sound resonates in the helmet. But, I am very happy with them and won't be swapping back anytime soon.. :)

Thanks for the descriptive explanation of the Jars. I still haven't gotten them, and have been mostly curious about how loud they actually are. As long as they are not as annoying as those straight pipe HD's, I'm good with that. I guess I'd rather them be loud and sound good at idle than quiet at idle and accentuate the john deer sound. I like a little rumble. And as far as freeway, I wear earplugs or sound isolating headphones on the freeway anyways. The wind pressure and buffeting even in my new Shoei is too annoying without.

Below is a graph showing the difference between TORS and Jardines on the same R3.
Solid lines are HP, dashed lines are torque.

Yellow - TORS and triple K&Ns under bearclaw.
Purple - As above with tuning.

Green - Jardines with triple K&Ns with good base map.
Red - As above with tuning.

Eddy-current dyno - approx. 12% lower than a Dynojet at this output range.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that graph. Might get down to a question of price as the TORS silencers are just a little over half the cost of the Jardine system. But the numbers are compelling. Decuisions decisions. Much appreciated.

FWIW, with our new filter/stack combination and throttle body blueprinting, this same bike is now over 150 hp with over 148 ft-lb of torque.

If you forsee wanting more output than the TORS provide, the Jardines are something to consider. The Predators tend to show slightly more (roughly 4%) output than the Jardines, but at a considerable price increase, and they are built very well.

We have also been able to get a couple more percent output from the Jardines by modifying them to a single silencer, rather than the dual silencer system.

My input would be to look at your goals and budget. If you want (or will eventually want) more then the TORS provide, bypass them, and go for something like the Jardine or Predator systems. If you feel then the TORS and stock header will be just right, then go that route. The decision can only be made by you.

I have also seen a member here that fabricated a pipe to fit a glasspack muffler to fit on the stock header. The result was inexpensive, and very impressive. 144 ft-lb as low as 2000 or 2500 rpm, IIRC.

Something to consider.

Love the Jars

Sorry I can't offer much in way of a comparison, since I had my Jars installed by the dealership before I took delivery of the bike. But I love the sound, love the power (running a modified Tuneboy tune for Jars with stock breather). I also ride with earplugs because the sound of the Jars really resonates in my full face helmet when I don't, but it's not like I'm carrying on a conversation while riding, so the earplugs don't bother me a bit. Bottom line, I can tell you I love the Jars and don't begrudge a penny I spent for them, but again, no experience with the TORs.

Mike

yes to the jardines.. I run them on my R3 and I just love them but since I landed in europe they pop anoyinnjngly loud on decceleration is there a tune out there for correcting this situation I also have the standard breathing .

I've come close to buying the TORS a few times but the case for Jardine seems very compelling. I'm unlikely to do too many more mods so my thinking is I should try to get the best out of the exhaust.

It's funny, when I first started riding RIIIs I couldn't believe the power or understand why you'd want/need more. It still brings a smile to my face when I sit on around 2500 rpm as I approach a passing spot or clear bit of road and then gun it. I ride every day to work and am also super impressed with the way it manoeuvers in traffic and the way you can get through or out of any situation with ease.

But like the rest of you, plenty is not enough and I want to keep the smile on my face (and that of the 11yo son who just LOVES it). I also want it to sound more like the beast it is and less like a fork lift (as my Harley mate likes to say).

Mike, your bike is the same colur as mine and looks great with the Jars. I think that's they way I'm leaning and will be worth the extra $400.

Thanks all.

Popping on Decel

Duke, have you gotten Tuneboy yet? I remember back in April you were talking about it. If you have, try this one, it's what I'm running and it all but eliminated the popping on decel I had. Also, you can find loads of tunes in the tune library on this forum here:

http://www.r3owners.net/trading-tunes/284-tuneboy-modified-tunes.html

Mike

Attachments

• 20222TuneJardine.dat
    219.7 KB · Views: 133
Back