Jardine Exhaust, Stock Breather, Triumph Tune

mikemartin88

.060 Over
Ride
'07 Standard with Jardines, triple K&Ns and TuneEdit ECU Map; '92 FLHS
Just picked up my '07 R3 standard and had the service dept at the dealership install the Jardine exhaust and retune the bike before I picked it up. After reading a bunch of posts here and looking at Pig9r's tune listing (thanks!), I was surprised when the service manager told me he used the Triumph 20227 tune. Since the 20226 tune is listed as aftermarket exhaust and cat removed and the 20227 tune is listed as standard pipe with empty cat. He said he used the 27 because it's the "fattest" tune Triumph has. I've ridden the bike about 85 miles, and every once in a while, it wheezes through the breather. It also pops like hell on decel. Should I be concerned? Can anyone recommend a better Triumph tune for my setup (not ready to shell out for a Tuneboy or PCIII just yet). Thanks for any and all....
Mike

The Triumph tunes are very lean. And they richen the fuel mix up by closing the secondary throttle plates even more. So really any power gain might be a wash. Tuneboy or PCIII is the only solution for the afterfiring.

Mine lets go through the intake every once in a while too.

I went thru the same learning curve last year. Many on this forum were a great help. With the help of a willing service mgr. we determined the 20226 was the best of the Triumph tunes but still too lean for comfort. I put in a PC III 'cause that's what my guy had and it works very well. Super quick bike, no popping, and it must not be lean anymore as mpg went down by 5! Off to the dyno this spring to, shall I dare say it-fine tune.

Just been through the same thing myself.

Thanks to the info and advice from some of the posters on this forum I figured tuneboy was the only way to go.

Bit of a fiddle to get the right tune and setup but now the bike is completely different. Plenty of power no popping on decel. Shoulda done it months ago.

Thanks to Pig9 for the help. Bike was still popping like yours until I disabled the O2 sensor in Tune edit. Will be physically removing the O2 sensor this weekend.

Good luck with the PCIII

Cheers

Bart

There is a group buy going on Tuneboy right now. Look around the forum, it is a heck of a deal.

LS

dumb question?

I just had the Triumph tune done after adding Staintunes, cat delete and an underseat K&N. I am now getting a power surge like a turbo kicking in when I am accelerating in lower gears. Is that the effect of the secondaries opening as the revs go up? It's a real yank on the arms when it happens.

It is probably caused by a lean condition. The secondaries open gradually but if the dealer loaded one of Triumph's aftermarket exhaust tunes it actually has the secondaries closing more than the standard tune.

Tuneboy a' Comin

Thanks for all the advice, I ordered my Tuneboy thorugh the group buy! Looking forward to playing with different tunes and feeling the difference.

Just picked up my '07 R3 standard and had the service dept at the dealership install the Jardine exhaust and retune the bike before I picked it up. After reading a bunch of posts here and looking at Pig9r's tune listing (thanks!), I was surprised when the service manager told me he used the Triumph 20227 tune. Since the 20226 tune is listed as aftermarket exhaust and cat removed and the 20227 tune is listed as standard pipe with empty cat. He said he used the 27 because it's the "fattest" tune Triumph has. I've ridden the bike about 85 miles, and every once in a while, it wheezes through the breather. It also pops like hell on decel. Should I be concerned? Can anyone recommend a better Triumph tune for my setup (not ready to shell out for a Tuneboy or PCIII just yet). Thanks for any and all....
Mike

I have the same set up and they loaded 020219 in mine

I do not get it anymore why isn't a standard across the board if the same set up bring technician to use so many different tunes like 27 or n26 or 19 something is wrong somewhere or they are totally inept.

I have the same set up and they loaded 020219 in mine

I do not get it anymore why isn't a standard across the board if the same set up bring technician to use so many different tunes like 27 or n26 or 19 something is wrong somewhere or they are totally inept.

I think you're onto something. The mechanics only know what exhaust and model the tunes are for. They've probably never seen the actual fuel tables. I just looked at F1, the main fuel table for cylinder 1. 20226 is for the standard R3 with aftermarket exhaust and no cat. It is fatter at high RPM and TP than 20227. 20219 is the same as 20226 except it's for the Classic.

However, 20222, which is for stock exhaust on the standard R3, has the same F1 table as 20226. There are other differences - in the secondaries and ignition tables.

Anyone can download the Tuneboy program and all the tunes for free.

Last edited:
Back