Jardine assessment and install

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
This post has two purposes, to provide my “Lessons Learnedâ€Â

Gasket

1. From what I've heard...it depends on what crack smoker was on the assembly line the day your Jards were made. :lol: One of the header pipes had to be "adjusted" on mine.

2. Your friend's HD Ultra is already in the back of a pickup? Didn't take very long did it? :wink:

Sorry for all the problems you had Mike. I guess I am fortunate the dealer had already installed them on my bike when I bought it. The were however easy to remove! :p The Preds were very easy to install though! Yea I know, I just had to rub it in a little!

Native One

NativeOne said:
Sorry for all the problems you had Mike. I guess I am fortunate the dealer had already installed them on my bike when I bought it. The were however easy to remove! :p The Preds were very easy to install though! Yea I know, I just had to rub it in a little!

Native One

John, the first botched install was my fault and the fix relatively easy. It just took an extra set of eyes and hands to sort it out. And yeah, they come right off don't they. It may not be necessary but I want to design some type of hanger to connect at the point where the cat bypass was affixed. It should be just a bracket and a SS band.

The Jards look great on the bike and it has a very nice rumble to it. I'll ride if for awhile with the TOR tune, like you had, and then when I get up the nerve, will install the PC3. I'll call you before I do so to clarify anything about which I am uncertain.

Now if this **** rain would let up I'll get out on the road again and and make some Harley riders wonder what's wrong with their bikes. :D

irieco said:
Your friend's HD Ultra is already in the back of a pickup? Didn't take very long did it?

This is how Gord begins every trip south during winter. He trucks his bike to San Diego, puts the truck in storage and then takes about a two month trip through the SW and Mexico. He speaks pretty fluent Spanish and gets along great south of the border. He has probably ridden more miles throughout the western U.S. than I have.

He has about 100 miles on this Ultra. He wrecked an 02 Electra Glide in Mexico, replaced with with an 04 Road Glide, put almost 60K miles on that and just bought the Ultra with the money he earned working at the tar sands oil fields in Alberta this winter. He's had a lot of bikes, to include a Gold Wing and a DL1000 VStrom. He presently still has the Road Glide and an adventure/off road ready Kawasaki KLR.

The originally intent was for me to accompany him on this trip in March but he decided to leave early and I cannot.

Mike,

Thanks for the excellent write-up. I've been toying with the idea of getting a set of Jardines for my R3T as they appear to be the only option for a full system. I have yet to hear of anyone installing the Jardines on an R3T. I really don't like the idea of being the first.

And, after reading your experience, I'll probably wait a bit longer.

Now, if Sam would agree to fashion a set of pipes for the R3T I wouldn't have to agonize over whether or not to get the Jardines.

Just conjecture but perhaps there was just a bad run, one of which the dealer installed on N1s and which I now have. While having the download done, the Triumph tech told me that they installed a set that gave them fits. He said the mechanic was was doing it questioned if it was even made for the Rocket. Heck I don't know, possibly there is a small frame difference in the Standard and Classic models.

I could have installed it again without modifying the muffler tabs but just thought it prudent to make it a nice fit.

GPM, you could probably find the application chart on the Jardine web site. It is possible that the critical attachment points are the same for the Standard/Classic and the R3T. I looked at them on the showroom floor but never looked for frame differences.

I see the sun. If it stays out for more than 20 minutes, I am off.

Mike: Your friend, and I speak very fluent Spanish, has brass balls riding in Mexico with all that is going on down there now! :shock:

Native One

Good point on the mounting. I got a drawing from Jardine, (they didn't have any pictures of the system mounted). The only mounting points shown are at the headers and the saddlebag rails toward the end of the mufflers. The stock system has a bracket in the middle of the crossover pipe that bolts to the engine. There's also a bracket that bolts to the passenger floorboard on the right (nothing on the left). Neither bracket is shown on Jardine's drawing. Without those brackets there would be nothing supporting the whole system from the headers to almost the end of the mufflers.

I really don't want to be guinea pig, especially for $1,000.

Back