jacking up bike / rear tire removal

camccardell

.060 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic Tourer
Ok guys, I'm about ready to hang this one up. I for some reason cannot jack up the rear of my r3.
I have changed the rear tire multiple times before, and I still cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

I have used a motorcycle jack before with a ratchet strap. It was at the rear of the oil pan if I remember correctly. I have moved and lost my shop so tools and space are almost non existent, otherwise I would just weld up a plate or something.

What am I doing wrong? I have to have overlooked something! I also have a flipmeister, but that doesn't get the tires off the ground. I am really pulling my hair out with this bike.

Chris

There are countless threads here on this topic.
Do a search. 'Lifting the Rocket'

Or Buy a Jack-be-quick
Or make an adapter for the lugs on the frame at the rear of the engine and attach to an ATV jack.
The 2 lift points are these lugs and the very front of the engine sump, with thin wood between jack and sump.

Do the search and you'll understand what I'm talking about

What type of jack do you have? Is it like this one:
image_22156.jpg

If it is, put that under the oil pan, biased towards the rear of the bike. Since it sounds like your bike is heavily rear weight biased you can tie it to the front arm of the jack and lift it.

Alternatively, I've used scissor jacks on the foot peg rails before. Place a brick under the kick stand, and lift from the exhaust side. If the rear of the foot peg rail isn't rearward enough you can lift with the frame support that hangs down where the flipmeister attaches. Then put in a jack stand while working so it can't fall.

If none of those work, you can put sheets of plywood under the point where the flipmeister sits that way when you pivot the bike up on it, you can a couple of inches of clearance.

I've done all these before.

The CG of my bike is 1/2" forward of the rear side of the cylinder head, maybe yours is more rear biased. Do you have saddle bags? Are they full?

What type of jack do you have? Is it like this one:
image_22156.jpg

If it is, put that under the oil pan, biased towards the rear of the bike. Since it sounds like your bike is heavily rear weight biased you can tie it to the front arm of the jack and lift it.

Alternatively, I've used scissor jacks on the foot peg rails before. Place a brick under the kick stand, and lift from the exhaust side. If the rear of the foot peg rail isn't rearward enough you can lift with the frame support that hangs down where the flipmeister attaches. Then put in a jack stand while working so it can't fall.

If none of those work, you can put sheets of plywood under the point where the flipmeister sits that way when you pivot the bike up on it, you can a couple of inches of clearance.

I've done all these before.

The CG of my bike is 1/2" forward of the rear side of the cylinder head, maybe yours is more rear biased. Do you have saddle bags? Are they full?

Yes! I have a jack like that!

I put some 2" concrete bricks under the flipmeister and the tires are still on the ground. Hooray for having extended shocks....

I have rear saddle bags and a trunk as well. I removed the saddle bags. Maybe the brackets and the exhaust add a lot of weight as well. I also put a 2x4 between the frame eyelets and jacked up under that. Still no dice. Front comes up and not the rear. I'm gonna order the jack be quick plates, but I don't have high hopes. I'll report when I get them

Chris

I have mine jacked up on a Jack like that right now. I have my own mount thingies (not flip's) but they fit the same.
Have cases (3) - came up straight off the cuff.
Front wheel down on the floor and rear wheel well up.
Rear shocks marginally overlength and front forks stronger.

A photo of your setup (bike on) would maybe help!.

314BAFED-A366-48EF-A9F5-5917C235E15A.png
Bags off seat off and pipes off. One arm on the lugs and one on the sump. Went right up.

Same here; but I add a 1by under the eyelets/lugs and move the rear arm of the jack under that.
I strap it down and put a brick or two under the front tire so that weight doesn't shift too much when the rear wheel comes off.

Last edited:
I've had problems lifting my R3T. The bike is heavy on the front end. I use the same cycle jack sold at Harbor Freight. I found that removing the bags, putting a 2x4 flat under the rear eyelets and a strap where the seat meets the gas tank are enough to balance the lift.
Since the left side pipe has to come off to remove the axle, it makes sense to remove the pipe before the lift.
Picking up a bike this big requires each lift braced. The jack stands placed front and back are a must.
Note: My Rocket has full front fairing and a King Tour Pack. They balance out.

Back