I've owned some noisy bikes but.....

McBacon

El Diablo Blanco
Ride
2016 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Is this normal? The video doesn't capture the bone rattling metal on metal clanking. It doesn't go away at any speed. In fact, even at 80mph on the highway, I can here it over the wind noise. The bike is a 2016, and still has break-in oil in, with 700 miles.

Timing chain is not adjusted properly. That sound is incredibly similar to when my mechanical tensioner needed adjusting, 1/2 screw in to take up the run-out and the sounds completely gone. Your bike, with hydro-tensioner, absolutely shouldn't make that sound. There's also an additional metal "clacking" of impact, that part of the sound isn't normal, guessing spit a shim or something similar.

At 700 miles, I'd be DEMANDING a new bike, nothing short of it or a full refund.

PS: A bit of metal is normal, shockingly, but it should be a pretty small amount during 1st oil load.

Last edited:
Man thats some racket. Timming chain has a automatic adjuster. If it was not timed right you could wack the valves. Did triumph change the miles on the break in oil. Mine were 500 miles and then off to the dealer for the change and other check listed in the waranty guide lines. I would not run her trailer her for safety. I would be on the horn with them ae soon as they open. Make sure they know it sounds like a coffee can full of gravel.

That's what I'm getting at warp, bad tensioner right out the gate, stuck or just fouled, it wouldn't be the 1st R3 this has happened to.

AS far as the break in goes, they (the salesperson) said 700-1000 miles. I had an appointment this Friday to get the service done, and some pipes installed. I have only had the bike 20 days.

Back