It's time I went naked!

RazMan

Rocket Addict
Ride
2022 R3 GT, 2011 America
Having just changed my fork oil, I took my beasty for a quick test ride to make sure everything was ok. I decided not to fit the flyscreen for some reason and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the buffeting that I normally get has totally gone! Seriously I was shocked - I normally get double vision above 70mph but this time it was lovely and smooth.
I have been plagued with visor rattles and wind noise in the past - I even tried a Tourer screen to see if that would help but nothing worked.
Does anyone else prefer going naked? 😲 :) Is there a solution to solve the buffeting with the standard flyscreen

I have only ever ridden un-faired motorcycles. Getting beat up by the wind is part of the experience for me. With a good helmet and ear plugs I prefer it. My rocket is completely naked and I love it however, its a very nice treat when I get to ride a faired bike.

I have only ever ridden un-faired motorcycles. Getting beat up by the wind is part of the experience for me. With a good helmet and ear plugs I prefer it. My rocket is completely naked and I love it however, its a very nice treat when I get to ride a faired bike.

Same here. I'm always warm, so I enjoy the wind. I cannot understand how the Harley guys can ride those old man baggers with the bat wing fairings on an 80+ degree day.

If you can move the flyscreen up or down, move the screen DOWN toward the headlights. What you are getting is turbulence caused by the flyscreen's vacuum at speed. This was a common complaint on the Bobber until someone figured out the higher the screen, the greater the turbulence. Here's where I have a Dart flyscreen on my Bobber:
1655488477857.jpeg

1655488501656.jpeg

I think you are right and my Bobber (sold yesterday) had a really tiny little flyscreen (an ebay mis-click) which only cost about £20 - it was brilliant so I kept it on the bike. No turbulence at all but it certainly stops some of the bugs getting in my teeth. :D

I would really like to have some sort of deflection so maybe something like this is the answer? Its for a 'cough' Harley but looks like it could be modified to suit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-17 193846.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-06-17 193846.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 10
What I was looking for was getting the air pressure off my chest. I did a lot of looking and reading on the Bobber forum before committing to a course of action. Turned out brilliant, I now have a relaxed grip and no helmet buffeting. Keep looking and reading what others have tried, you'll find and answer.

Madstad has a flyscreen: Rocket III (2004 - 2019) Fly Screen System
1655500261340.png

Last edited:
That looks like a good compromise - the shape being quite rounded and should create less turbulence. Madstad have a UK distributor too! Now where's my credit card ...... :cool:

Having just changed my fork oil, I took my beasty for a quick test ride to make sure everything was ok. I decided not to fit the flyscreen for some reason and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the buffeting that I normally get has totally gone! Seriously I was shocked - I normally get double vision above 70mph but this time it was lovely and smooth.
I have been plagued with visor rattles and wind noise in the past - I even tried a Tourer screen to see if that would help but nothing worked.
Does anyone else prefer going naked? 😲 :) Is there a solution to solve the buffeting with the standard flyscreen
Yep Rollie Free was onto it years ago.....even doing 150mph! ;) :roll::roll::roll::roll::cool:
1655801311237.png

I found that your helmet makes a big difference in turbulence around your head. I have no windscreen, and get more buffeting with NO helmet on, than I do with my Shoei helmet on. I've had other cheaper helmets, that tried to rip your head off. Also tried a windshield. NO WAY, besides not liking the distorted view, being mounted to the forks on the Rocket causes bad things when a semi passes you the opposite direction. I took it off after the first test ride. :cool:

Back