It's a lottery out there

The AA have just announced that one in four accidents in UK are caused by the driver falling asleep at the wheel! :eek:

How the hell do you cater for that eventuality!

Careful people, it's a jungle out there!
I can totally agree with that the 605 from Peterborough to oundle is a straight road and many times early in the morning I have seen cars gone off the road with no other road users about ?

Want a sad story? I did just that in '03. 3 hours over time after night shift, riding my Zx9 home and next thing you know I'm in hospital, one snapped leg, one knee needing a recon and a very nice dent in the helmet. Lucky for me after some fighting, work cover looked after me. I don't remember a thing from about 2 hours before the crash till hospital. Take care folks.

The AA have just announced that one in four accidents in UK are caused by the driver falling asleep at the wheel! :eek:
How the hell do you cater for that eventuality! Careful people, it's a jungle out there!
Depending on the time of year (clock change weeks are killers) and also time of day - a huge number of commuters are driving on autopilot and pretty much unaware of road conditions. This came from the Spanish Guardia Civil. And I am NOT at all surprised.

On one trip across Germany on the Guzzi I "lost" about 80kms - I know I'm a lightweight - I'd only gone 28hours without a kip.

What are you guys doing in Europe? I see plenty of dumb drivers but haven't seen any sleepers

I’m 2012 A guy fell asleep while coming home from work crossed over the divide and hit me head on in my work truck, I almost lost my right foot as a result.
Fortunately I was not on my motorcycle,
I do not hold any ill will towards the Man though, The guy put in a 12 hour shift overnight and fell asleep on the way home, At least he did not hit a van full of kids or something tragic like that, Besides my limp adds character :laugh:

Through work I drive about 80,000 miles a year all around the UK. This involves a lot of early starts of 01.00 etc and I see so many 'sleepers' at the wheel. Having done this for many years now, I have learnt to recognise the symptoms and know when to pull over and stop for a while, or if accompanied, swap drivers for a while. The worst offenders on the UK roads are the truck drivers, especially of foreign origin. This is in no way a condemnation of truck drivers - I was one for 15 years - just a fact of life on the UK roads. It is a matter of watching every vehicle, large or small, and trying to anticipate their next movement. Staying alert is paramount in or on any mode of transport. Be aware and keep vigilant at all times, you never know what the other vehicle might do!!

I would bet the lions share of those fall-asleep collisions in the UK are commercial truck drivers out on the open highway.
Just sayin' . . .

Back