It wasnt broke!! And now i cant fix it....

bebsy

Finicky
Ride
2006 Triumph R3
Evening all...well read up best i could and got to work replacing both TPS sensors as one was faulty, i started with the secondary as instructed immediately came up with a high votage error it was 4.20 and i couldnt get it to drop. So i went to the primary tps on tunecu thats was simple double clicked went back to secondary it was the same ive noticed now the secondary butterflys click closed but they fully open and close again as before now just making clicking sounds my heads fried any help very much appriciated

I believe the Triumph manual has the instructions to install the secondary TPS all dorked up. If you follow the book, the blade on the throttle plate could be in the wrong slot on the TPS and will prevent the sensor and throttle plate from moving to closed position. Remove your TPS and make sure the slots in the TPS weren't damaged by the wrong install. Smear a little petroleum jell to the O-ring, manually open the secondary plates (does not have to be full open), align the slot in the sensor to the blade on the throttle plate and slide TPS on, loosely reattach the screw and make sure you can manually move the secondary plates full open to full close (actually about 1/16" gap at close position) without the TPS reaching the mechanical limits, bring up Tune ECU and adjust. Don't worry if you can't get .6V on the low side, just make sure you get full open to full close on secondary throttle plates (and make sure the slot under the screw is not adjusted to the limit).
I figured this mess out when I got the secondary motor malfunction (P0638). Wiring checked OK, but could not adjust my TPS to .6V (set at .87V by the factory with TPS adjustment slot at full travel against screw). It would not go below .87 so I removed the TPS (to check for damage) and when reinstalling, found the install depiction is backwards in the manual. I reinstalled the TPS as above. Still couldn't get .6V so I made sure the throttle plates moved full open to close without the TPS hitting its limits and snugged the TPS screw about 1/8" from the end in the screw slot. The voltage at closed is 1.4V but I no longer get the P0638 code. I think the ECU learns the low and high TPS voltage when it sweeps full open to close and uses this value for adjustments.

Last edited:
I believe the Triumph manual has the instructions to install the secondary TPS all dorked up. If you follow the book, the blade on the throttle plate will be in the wrong slot on the TPS and will prevent the sensor and throttle plate from moving to closed position. Remove your TPS and make sure the slots in the TPS weren't damaged by the wrong install. Smear a little petroleum jell to the O-ring, manually open the secondary plates (does not have to be full open), align the slot in the sensor to the throttle blade and slide TPS on, loosely reattach the screw and make sure you can manually move the secondary plates full open to full close without the TPS reaching the mechanical limits, bring up Tune ECU and adjust. Don't worry if you can't get .6V on the low side, just make sure you get full open to full close on secondary throttle plates (and make sure the slot under the screw is not adjusted to the limit). I could only get 1.4V on the low side but I don't think it matters as the ECU adjusts and sets full open to full close numbers during the sweep.

Hello again i looked through the manual and went about the task of fitting the secondary tps i tried every which way and couldnt get the voltage to drop anywere close also when i fitted the tps i couldnt get a fully open on the butterflys when you turn it clockwise to suit up it brings the butterflys with it leaving about 75% open? I tried the old tps and readings are the same i started it up ticked ok but there is a buzzing from the secondary stepper motor and sometimes they start flickering when the ignition is on would that be because of the high voltage on the tps its also throwing the the code PO223 high voltage secondary tps i will upload a few pics cheers

Sounds like you have throttle blade in the wrong slot on the TPS. See if this helps:
1. Disconnect the electrical connector on the secondary stepper motor (located in front of #1 throttle body).
2. Manually open secondary butterfly and remove secondary TPS.
3. Manually open and close secondary butterflies and check full travel with corresponding TPS drive blade (located in hole where TPS slides into and looks like tip of flat tip screwdriver) movement.
4. Visually inspect inside TPS where blade inserts. Should look like a "+".
5. If all checks OK, turn on battery and bring up the diagnostic page on Tune ECU and check secondary voltage (should read .4-.6V, I believe). TPS should be spring loaded to low voltage side of scale.
6. Insert screwdriver blade into the slot in the TPS and lightly rotate screwdriver, voltage should increase until the TPS hits high side movement limit (Tune ECU readings are slow to register so take your time on rotating and reading).
7. If all checks OK, open secondary throttle half way between open and closed and insert TPS as depicted in maintenance manual. You might have to rotate it a little left or right so the blade will align with the TPS slot.
8. Without installing the screw, check full rotation of secondary throttle by manually opening and closing the bodies. On the initial opening or closing, the TPS may rotate as it is not yet adjusted. You need to be able to adjust the TPS where it is not forced to rotate when the throttle body is full open and full closed. If you can't get full travel, remove TPS and insert blade into the slot which allows full travel. Also check to insure adjustment slot in TPS is over the security screw hole.
9. Once you can open/close throttle body without TPS movement, insert screw, get out of Tune ECU, reconnect electrical lead into driver motor, open tune ECU, and follow maintenance manual for adjusting TPS (keeping in mind of above write up).

NOTE: The throttle blade can be installed in wrong the slot, causing the TPS to be off 90 degrees to the high side, 90 degrees to the low side, or JUST RIGHT. The key to this is to make sure you get full throttle body movement within the TPS travel limit.

NOTE: The stepper motor should hum when power applied and can be detected by touching the motor (it also hums for 15-20 seconds after battery is turned off). If it is loudly buzzing, then the motor is probably trying to drive the bodies and something is preventing it from moving (such as TPS being at limits and preventing throttle bodies from moving to full travel)!

Last edited:
Back