Issues with R3

groran

Standard Bore
Ride
10 wing, 09 and 12 Hayabusa, 17 BMW 1000RR
Hello, new here. Thinking about buying a 2005 up to 2011 R3. I see some issues like paint can rattle noise and other issues like lower timing chain etc. Have these issues been taken care of? I see some post from 2007, so I would think that maybe some older bikes like 05 might still have the problem. I'm looking at one here in SOCAL and it's a 2005. What are some things I should look for? He told me the odometer doesn't work, so he doesn't know the mileage, so yeah any help appreciated.

Hello Grogan and welcome from Virginia.

The paint can rattle is the timing chain. There are indeed 1 or 2 ways to fix it. An external cam chain tensioner is the easiest and many have it on their engines now, especially if they have increased the power.

Ask if the bike has the factory upgrade kit installed, this fixes early transmission issues. Keep in mind, most bikes did not have the problem.

Otherwise, look for normal things like tire age, sound when running, does it start right off and so on. Judging from your list of bike, I am guess you know your way around a bike.

And, if you don't mind, go over to the "Introduce Yourself thread" and tell us more about your bike history. Good luck!

I'd say it depends on price that okd shouldn't be but 3500. Stick to 09 and newer as it will have the updates the earlier ones don't or might have had put in. Its actually about mid 08, all R3T touring model with the Harley lookalike front end. And complete hard bags. All 09 and up on everything. Classics were produce 06 up to and including 09 two tone paint and floor boards. Plus it says its a classic on the side badges. 2010 and up are Roadsters most have ABS. Oh and the 05 has lost the odometer reading soon the rest will fail. Its a Rocket thing :)

Definitely go for ‘09 or later but if you’re looking at earlier models (‘04, ‘05 and some ‘06) make sure they’re not low mileage - Hopefully they’ll have needed and been given the upgrades.

Back