Issues with new Rocket 3 Roadster..Help Please!

nitinbaweja

Standard Bore
Hello Folks!

Really excited to be a part of this forum with my new and recent purchase of 2014 Rocket 3 Roadster here in Dubai, UAE. I purchased a 0Kms model directly from the dealership and since it is nearly a year old (0 Kms) had got a good deal.

however since the ride I have been facing 2 issues which to be honest the dealership has not been able to fix:

1) The bike has done less than 300kms on it but seems doesn't want to go over 100-110Kms/Hr. It seems to be far too revved up at that point, almost like I'm missing a gear (after 5th) when I reach that Kmh. It just like it it is resisting to go beyond that.

2) Every time I accelerate their seems to be a slight knock sound underneath, almost like the stand is hitting bike the underneath everytime I accelerate forward.

The dealership first told me it was a voltage issue, being in-consistent and that why this issue. Still found the same issue and when returned I was told their was a leak in the manifold which was resolved with a silicon application.

while I certainly feel the bike is very nimble now to reach 100 or 110 but Im still feeling the same issue of not wanting to go over 100 or 110.

I have not been revving it beyond 3K or 4K (forget 5k as suggested by dealership till 1000Kms) but still the issue persists.

I have not got a satisfactory response from dealership so pls if someone has faced a similar issue with a new rocket and how it was resolved...a feedback would be highly appreciated.

Safe Riding!!

Nitin

Welcome to the group from down under. You will love the bike the more you ride it. As for your current issues..... Being new and with such low Ks on her I almost wonder if Triumph use a run-in tune that limits revs/HP/speed.. I can't see why as it's up to you how you want to settle her in. Rockets are normally doing around 3000rpm at that speed give or take a bit. They are all geared the same. If the dealer can't figure it out but a cable and download tuneecu software so you can look at what the ECU is up to. Plenty of scientisists on here to help you on this.
As for the knocking under her... Got me beat, jack her up spin the wheel to make sure there are no clunks in the shaft assembly and rear hub. Rockets are a bit clunky in the final drives but this doesn't equate to what you have described.
I guess the ultimate thing to do is go park it at the dealer and make it their problem...
Cheers
Mike

Welcome to the forum from the USA. That doesn't sound like a common issue, but I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable guys on here will chime in with some thoughts. I hope you get it resolved soon.

As they all should.... It's a dealer issue givens it's age, old mate shouldn't have to figure out the issue...

Hello Folks!

Really excited to be a part of this forum with my new and recent purchase of 2014 Rocket 3 Roadster here in Dubai, UAE. I purchased a 0Kms model directly from the dealership and since it is nearly a year old (0 Kms) had got a good deal.

however since the ride I have been facing 2 issues which to be honest the dealership has not been able to fix:

1) The bike has done less than 300kms on it but seems doesn't want to go over 100-110Kms/Hr. It seems to be far too revved up at that point, almost like I'm missing a gear (after 5th) when I reach that Kmh. It just like it it is resisting to go beyond that.

2) Every time I accelerate their seems to be a slight knock sound underneath, almost like the stand is hitting bike the underneath everytime I accelerate forward.

The dealership first told me it was a voltage issue, being in-consistent and that why this issue. Still found the same issue and when returned I was told their was a leak in the manifold which was resolved with a silicon application.

while I certainly feel the bike is very nimble now to reach 100 or 110 but Im still feeling the same issue of not wanting to go over 100 or 110.

I have not been revving it beyond 3K or 4K (forget 5k as suggested by dealership till 1000Kms) but still the issue persists.

I have not got a satisfactory response from dealership so pls if someone has faced a similar issue with a new rocket and how it was resolved...a feedback would be highly appreciated.

Safe Riding!!

Nitin
I would say something is definitely not right at 3000 rpms you should be moving at 120 kph in fifth gear. if it won't do that Then the first thing I would do is get into the ecu and see whats going on. Map? and ISCV reset along with checking the throttle bodies for balance. Is you engine light on?

First of all, g'day and welcome.

If the dealer had to use silicone to repair a leak in the manifold, then the manifold and exhaust is probably not fitted correctly. If they are out of alignment then there could be a leak that was then plugged with silicone. If it is loose or incorrectly mounted then that could also be the cause of the knocking noise you hear.

Triumph do (or at least did) make a tune that is VERY restrictive. IIRC, it is for learners in France. Your bike may somehow have this tune in the ECU. Download TuneECU and buy the cable. Then you will be able to read the tune that is in the bike, and also install a better one. This could either be a factory OEM tune, or one that removes the restrictions in your bike to unleash the beast within.

Welcome to the group from down under. You will love the bike the more you ride it. As for your current issues..... Being new and with such low Ks on her I almost wonder if Triumph use a run-in tune that limits revs/HP/speed.. I can't see why as it's up to you how you want to settle her in. Rockets are normally doing around 3000rpm at that speed give or take a bit. They are all geared the same. If the dealer can't figure it out but a cable and download tuneecu software so you can look at what the ECU is up to. Plenty of scientisists on here to help you on this.
As for the knocking under her... Got me beat, jack her up spin the wheel to make sure there are no clunks in the shaft assembly and rear hub. Rockets are a bit clunky in the final drives but this doesn't equate to what you have described.
I guess the ultimate thing to do is go park it at the dealer and make it their problem...
Cheers
Mike
Thank You MRJ and offcourse everyone else for the feedback. Surely it needs to go the dealership and have them look at it. or else I do the same myself.

Appreciate it a lot!

Have a safe ride all!

Back