Dyna494

.040 Over
Hi all, I just bought a Rocket 3, a 2005 model with just over 3000 miles. :D

Hoping to chop/customise it a bit during the New Year after I see what collateral damage the festive season bings. :eek:

Thing I notice about the bike is, unless I let the clutch out real slow, it makes a clunking sound most times from the clutch area but sometimes from the shaft area too. Is this normal? :confused:

Thanks in advance

My R3T doesn't make any clunking noise. It's normal operation like any other bike. The Rockets do shift clunky (linkage) compared to other bikes, however. Mine, fortunately, is pretty smooth in that regard too.

..hey dyna, I think it is normal..my 06 does it too..always did since I bought it with 1700 miles on it..it now has 10,000..if it's the same thing, the clunk, clunk, clunk as your little more than idling along in 1st gear is when it does it..I've found that by pulling back in the clutch and taking off with a little more authority if you will, seems to alleviate the issue..I no longer worry about it..

Dyna,
Welcome aboard.
What color?
Stock?
Pics?
Only 3000 miles huh?
Was the previous owner scared of it?
Chop?
customize?
What are these terms?:rolleyes:
Ride safe and again,
Welcome.

welcome from tn
skip the other owner probably only rode it when the temp was above 70 :D

Thing I notice about the bike is, unless I let the clutch out real slow, it makes a clunking sound most times from the clutch area but sometimes from the shaft area too. Is this normal? :confused:

Thanks Guys,

I'm not exactly recommending this, but you can try this in your garage....probably......just be quick to catch it. :D

Say you're in neutral, put it in gear and let the clutch out reasonably quick. Does your bike make a clunk sound as the gears engage? Don't forget, pull the cluch back in really quicky catch it before it shoots forward or stalls.

My friend just bought an 07 with 4000 miles and his makes the same clunking noise too.

Do your bikes make do this noise? Should I be concerned? :confused:

It's difficult to pick out noises from an R3 transmission since they make so many.
Keep in mind that it's a 5 speed for a reason (a 6 speed can't handle the torque) and the gears are HUGE with big teeth. A good rule of thumb for this bike is that clunks and bumps are typical but grinding and growling is not.
If your trans freewheels so easily that with the clutch pulled in it stops completely, you might have the cable adjusted too tight and the throwout bearing is spinning against the clutch even when let out. This is bad. Make sure that there is sufficient free play in the cable when disengaged or the throwout bearing will burn up.
When properly adjusted the bike may even lurch a little when shifted from neutral to 1st while stopped because the trans is still spinning from the closeness of the plates. Better the clutch drags in the oil between the plates than the bearing riding against them all the time. If you can't move the clutch on the side of the trans with your fingers a little bit, then it's too tight.

Back