Is the R3 suitable for long distance ?

Lemieuxfan

Supercharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
just got back from 10 days @ tybee island, GA and did some time in the very nice downtown savannah, ga got back to Tn last night about 730 cst. My rocket 3 roadster didn't give me any issues thank-god- want to ask you all if you do ride yours often on distance say greater than 500 miles etc. I truly love this bike but really can't say this is good for distance no matter what changes you make.

shifting gears- want to pass on a recommendation from a tech who works on elevators uses this stuff also uses it on his chrome gave me half a can and let me tell you...;i'm a believer!! stuff is sheliaShine can find on amzn.

net/net wanted to know how many of you take your rocket out on long legs etc;

Much, if not most of this site for it's dozen years or so, are all the inventive, creative folks tailoring their bikes to their liking, and helping others reach their goals.

Have you not done that with yours ? Work in progress ?

Just take a look at the many years posts in the form "Rockets Across America" and the companion forum "Rockets Down Under", and spend a few days or weeks going through those, and looking through various captains' posts that catch your attention.

Much, if not most of this site for it's dozen years or so, are all the inventive, creative folks tailoring their bikes to their liking, and helping others reach their goals.

Have you not done that with yours ? Work in progress ?

Just take a look at the many years posts in the form "Rockets Across America" and the companion forum "Rockets Down Under", and spend a few days or weeks going through those, and looking through various captains' posts that catch your attention.
I have added the factory windshield, front oem dresser bars, upgraded the two front headlights to daymakers (&led turn signals), sissy bar, leather panniers, etc. had bike for 3 years 25k miles so I do some riding. The seat I believe is my biggest issue but the screen really is too low I guess I can upgrade the screen to a clearview which would take some of the wind off the head..

the riding position not sure despite upgrades etc. that it will ever really be friendly for long distant riding. Which i'm not doing these days anyway but as I get older may be better off with a Goldwing etc. or ultra classic.

I suggest you are in excellent company here.

This question has been raised a number of times.

It's only money -- sell your beautiful Roadster, and purchase a well-fitted Touring. The Touring is already set up for "good size" and "large size" and is readily fitted with any aftermarket screen you care to order.

The seats -- well -- such a personal preference. @idk put 130,000 miles on his. @Boog has in excess of 40K, and recommends a Bead Rider for the long days. Some folks swear by Corbin - you already noted their dear price.

There are a number of threads here where Roadster owners have turned their bikes into Tourings - just takes time and money - hence the suggestion to move to a Touring.

But then, I'm biased -- having selected a Touring from the start.

agree- was suce
I don't ride much so the Rocket is a perfect fit. If i was to really ride a lot i would go with the Goldwing. With only 42,000 miles on my Rocket X(bought in Oct 2015) could not justify buying a Goldwing.:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
I suggest you are in excellent company here.

This question has been raised a number of times.

It's only money -- sell your beautiful Roadster, and purchase a well-fitted Touring. The Touring is already set up for "good size" and "large size" and is readily fitted with any aftermarket screen you care to order.

The seats -- well -- such a personal preference. @idk put 130,000 miles on his. @Boog has in excess of 40K, and recommends a Bead Rider for the long days. Some folks swear by Corbin - you already noted their dear price.

There are a number of threads here where Roadster owners have turned their bikes into Tourings - just takes time and money - hence the suggestion to move to a Touring.

But then, I'm biased -- having selected a Touring from the start.

good points here joe and sonny; I guess another gripe still would be an issue is the lack of 6 gear at 75-85 mile per hour the engine sounds much like it needs to shift into an overdrive if you will. Goldwings are very nice; of course overpriced too but your getting a ton of options

The Rocket is not what i would call a luxury bike. It is what it is. A big bike with a lot of grunt. One of the reasons i went with the Rocket. At 60 years old not ready for the rocking chair or a luxury liner motorcycle. Maybe a few years down the line mite think about it. Then again (mites are found where):roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Back