Is revving up bad for R3R engine?

imcool

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3R 2022
hello R3 owners,

I am wondering if revving up engine at 5500rpm to make louder sound by exhaust when bike is not in gear and not in motion bad for engine? Something like what this guy is doing in video but at higher RPMs.

If its not good then what could happen to engine if you do it often?

Thanks

I don’t think he revved to 5500 rpm. If the engine is cold I would not rev to 5 grand till it was warm. It would be hard on the internals of the engine to do while cold. That guy did not harm anything.

probably never went over 3500 rpm
never do this in morning (when cold and before the engine gets lubed up)
never make a habit of this
i had a merc comet wagon 260 motor and my shop was beside the house so every morning the wife would do this to warm up the motor i kept telling her not to do that and after a while i just thought what ever.
so one morning she was revving the motor and heard a weird sound as the motor went from about 4000 rpm to zero.
what's wrong with the car dear?
answer do u remember telling u not to warm up the car by revving the motor well now it is time to rebuild the motor
the timing chain is wore out and it rolled over the camshaft gear

I don’t think he revved to 5500 rpm. If the engine is cold I would not rev to 5 grand till it was warm. It would be hard on the internals of the engine to do while cold. That guy did not harm anything.
so if engine is hot, then can we rev it to 5500rpm.

when I mean rev it to 5500rpm i meant momentarily revving up not constant/continuous revving. I mean to do SHORT BURSTS

Last edited:
I seem to remember once reading that it's harder on an engine doing that under no load, but I don't remember the reason.

Probably not but I see no reason to do it. If you do the exhaust note is still less than intimidatingly so unless you have a different exhaust just to quickly rap it to hear the tone then it's pointless. When you are going through the gears the exhaust note comes alive so to speak. Owning three HD and two Rockets with modified exhaust I still at times forget and downshift to hear the exhaust. I'm quickly reminded that it isn't loud anymore but I'm okay with it. I like the sound of my 2020 stock exhaust although I wouldn't mind it sounding a little throatier. Fairly soon every motorcycle (electric-cycle) will have the same pathetic errrrrrrrrrrrrrr whine. Cheers.

when I mean rev it to 5500rpm i meant momentarily revving up not constant/continuous revving. I mean to do SHORT BURSTS

We know u want to so go ahead
Rev that sucker have fun that's why we have this huge machine . I prefer tohear mine at 6500 in second gear.
While riding with cruse locked i wanted to see what would happen
if i pulled in the clutch.
It went to about 5500 did not go to max rev's and did not get to rev limiter.

I doubt you will hurt the motor with a quick up to 5500 and back down on a warmed motor. It’s your bike mate you enjoy it as you see fit. I have revved mine like that without harm but it is safer and sounds better under load. I don’t think I’d do it everyday though.;)

Ive seen sales men in showrooms revving cold new bikes on the floor to show customers how the bikes sound. I recall thinking that was not smart on a new cold motor and I hope I never buy one that was treated like that.

To weigh in late on this, Triumph's own crank sensor calibration gets you to go wide open throttle in neutral. It revs up and drops back every second, and limits the number of times it will do that to 10, but should complete in 4. And it won't start the calibration until the engine is up to temperature. I'm guessing that limit means that even at temp, constant revving of the engine with no load is probably undesirable... :)

Back