Is my Rocket III Touring too heavy for me?

kjones256

.020 Over
Ride
'13 Rocket III Touring
Greetings Rocketeers!
I have been in awe of the Rocket III for years almost in the same way that I admired the Honda Valkyrie. So I decided to take the plunge and got a 2013 Rocket III Touring with 3,000 miles on the odometer. So the first weekend riding it I threw my back trying to back the bike into the garage (my driveway is almost level).

The next time I took the bike out, as I returned home and was pulling into my driveway at around 10 mph, I hit a pile of leaves and drop the bike (fortunately there was no damage). It took me about 45 minutes to pull the bike up using ropes, ratchets and my wife (haha!). I am not big but not a weakling either (5'9" and 180 lbs.).

I am starting to wonder if it is just too big of a bike for me. I was riding a Yamaha 1100 cruiser before and still have a Can-Am Spyder RT Limited. Would love to keep the Rocket but I am wondering if I would be better off with a Thunderbird Storm or something along those lines.

Greetings Rocketeers!
I have been in awe of the Rocket III for years almost in the same way that I admired the Honda Valkyrie. So I decided to take the plunge and got a 2013 Rocket III Touring with 3,000 miles on the odometer. So the first weekend riding it I threw my back trying to back the bike into the garage (my driveway is almost level).

The next time I took the bike out, as I returned home and was pulling into my driveway at around 10 mph, I hit a pile of leaves and drop the bike (fortunately there was no damage). It took me about 45 minutes to pull the bike up using ropes, ratchets and my wife (haha!). I am not big but not a weakling either (5'9" and 180 lbs.).

I am starting to wonder if it is just too big of a bike for me. I was riding a Yamaha 1100 cruiser before and still have a Can-Am Spyder RT Limited. Would love to keep the Rocket but I am wondering if I would be better off with a Thunderbird Storm or something along those lines.
there is a way to get a Heavy bike back up watch some video it is rather simple do not ask how I know and I am close to your size

Greetings Rocketeers!

You certainly have to give the bike a bit respect regarding the weight, especially at slow speed. I'm constantly wondering the same thing if I drop it, but am enjoying the bike too much. Basically just have to be extra careful.

The oversized engine bars seem to help a lot in case the fat lady has slipped. The guy on the photo easily lifted it up several times on that show.
I don't know if they fit for the Touring, though. Edit: they do.

Link Removed

20150621_173208.jpg

I did a fundraising ride for prostate cancer two years ago at the end you were allowed to push your bike around (so as not to disturb the pub patrons apparently) to get a pic in front the banner in your get up with the official banner in the background. One after the other they wheeled through. Big girl stayed where she was parked and I had a cold beer instead. I have done alot of heavy lifting in my time and still train regularly. But no way was I even gunna try push the unit through wet grass uphill just for a pic. The crowd would have gotten a good laugh if I had tried. My long winded point is pick your battles, with a bit of practice they aren't to bad to wheel when you have to. Somehow it is oddly one of the things I like about the bike.

I have found you have to be confident when you ride a heavy bike like the rocket ,i had a couple of moments recently, one on the annual RTTW at the National memorial arboretum,
got directed to a field to park up lucky enough i had a prop stand puck,rained all day ,had to enlist 4 guys to get me pointing in the right direction then a ride of a couple of hundred yards over churned up field ,Rockets do not make very good moto x bikes,the second had me in a field again at a local hill climb but made sure i was pointing in the right direction this time !
I think in both cases if i had not adopted a confident attitude i would still be in that first field !
Something i find helps with building your confidence is slow riding, and coming to rest with your feet up and just popping one leg down, then picking your feet up as soon as you move off , the Rocket is very well balanced at walking pace .
Agree tho its a bit struggle to move about when you are of it ,but again just show it whos boss .

Back