Is it wrong? Quick poll...

Is it better to have one dedicated machine or get two totally different models?

• Total voters

Brenner

Living the dream
Ride
2008 Rocket Touring
I have been more active lately in educating myself as I research these wonderful machines. I had a hard choice in deciding what model to acquire and now that I have my touring and am accessorizing it as such. With this ongoing it is also detrimental as I am considering options of adding a custom tour pack, batwing fairing, and pillion grab handles (fitting and fabricating myself) to fully dress it out for my long distance wishes with the misses. The detrimental part is that I am inadvertently getting away from the roomy high powered free spirited beast that initially attracted me to this machine. So I have been thinking as I have been researching, "Is it wrong to have more than one model of this bike?" I'm actually considering taking my time and dressing out my touring as fully and tasteful as I can and starting to look for a naked rocket. I really have no plans on looking at other manufacturers or models as none catch my interest. I come from the Harley world and still have my shakers but being tall these machines fit me much better. My intentions thus far will most likely take me to the opposite side of the spectrum meaning instead of the chromed out unlocked, quiet, factory looking, touring, sleeper to the blacked out, barking, naked, solo, road tearing machine that it will look and most likely be. Insurance is cheap, it's nice to have choices, and I find the naked rockets easy to find readily available. Am I becoming an addict? Maybe so, so which model of the naked variety will suit my needs? I really fancy the X but I am thinking it might be more fun just to mod, and paint my tins the way that feels right at the time. So am I wrong or am I being greedy?

Not gonna vote because well, because....but...more than one bike...well....yes, of course.

With time and financial decisions removed, I would have multiple bikes for all types of riding each suitem to the situation or my mood. With all that said. I see 6 -10 being a good number for me.

I too have a few bikes. All for different reasons. At the moment I do not have a touring bike. I have been looking for a good and reasonably priced R3T to do exactly what you are planing on doing. Turn it into a full touring bike with full front fairing, tourpak, and a big cushy rear seat for the wife. I will keep the R3R and sell off the Springer and a few of the rice rockets as needed. More is better, right?

As long as you actually ride both or multiple and can afford the maintenance cost on multiple bikes, I see no reason whatsoever to not do so. Purpose build each for its purpose:

Going cross country? Take the purpose built tourer.
Going to play for the day? Take the shorter range, lighter, and more fun day tripper.
Going off road? Take the dualcross/motocross.
Going to be a complete hooligan? Take the motard.

Back