Is it really worth it to remove the secondary butterflies?

Torpedo

.040 Over
I have the Carpenter pipe now and doing the K and N thing with a Tuneboy ECU tune. Will I pick up much with the secondaries removed? Should I plug off the O2 sensor as well? I've seen differing views. Thx.

I have the Carpenter pipe now and doing the K and N thing with a Tuneboy ECU tune. Will I pick up much with the secondaries removed? Should I plug off the O2 sensor as well? I've seen differing views. Thx.

If you want the full, unadulterated power right off idle, take them out. I got rid of my O2 sensor several years ago. If you don't it will keep modifying your map back to lean. I have heard heard of people using a wide band sensor but never really looked into it. The only real function of the o2 sensor is to keep the exhaust at the optimal temperature for the catalytic converter. If you have a Carpenter pipe your cat is long gone.

O2 sensor

Ok so if I am putting on full Jardines and a Tune ECU then I do not need the O2 sensor?
Will this not cause the engine light to come on?
Sorry if its a silly question I am just starting now with R3T upgrades.

Removing the secondaries will give better power right of idle and make it smoother. Ok If the Carpenter Brutes don't have a O2 senor bung to put it in tuckit up out of the way and uncheck it in Tuneboy or TunECU or buy an eliminator from Dyno jet and leave it turned on, a broad band sensor is used only if you are using a PCV + AT,
with the Jardines I would just put the sensor in the pipe and turn it of in the TuneECU settings

Ok so if I am putting on full Jardines and a Tune ECU then I do not need the O2 sensor?
Will this not cause the engine light to come on?
Sorry if its a silly question I am just starting now with R3T upgrades.

In TuneEcu (and Tuneboy) you have the option to turn off the O2 sensor. Then your check engine light won't come on. I'm told that if you leave the sensor in it will ruin it because it's little heater won't work. I took mine out and replaced it with a plug in case I wanted to reinstall it. If I had it to do over again I would have just let it get ruined.

Hey Hanso, I'm pretty sure the o2 sensor is enabled in my tune, should I uncheck it? O2 sensor is installed in pipe.

Hey Hanso, I'm pretty sure the o2 sensor is enabled in my tune, should I uncheck it? O2 sensor is installed in pipe.
I would uncheck it and reset adaptives while you are there as it probally has already started to lean of the Low Throttle and Idle part of the tune, sorry I should have mentioned it.
The triumph O2 sensor will lean off whatever tune you put in and it only does this to help comply with EPA, it is not needed otherwise as it is a narrow band O2 sensor which only works on low throttle and low RPM, unlike the the Wide or Broad band which the PCV uses which covers and reads the whole throttle range

Thanks for the replies. So with the carpenter and k and n's with Bob tuning it with the factory ecu and tuneboy, just turn off o2 sense and leave it in the pipe? (has an o2 bung). Will remove secondaries too.

Thanks for the replies. So with the carpenter and k and n's with Bob tuning it with the factory ecu and tuneboy, just turn off o2 sense and leave it in the pipe? (has an o2 bung). Will remove secondaries too.
That's what I'd be doing:) have fun and keep the rubber side down:D:cool:

Torpedo do not worry if Bob is tuning the bike for you he will make sure the sensor is turned off. He does have a bung in the pipe that will need to be plugged or as Fred stated leave the O2 sensor in it as a plug.
Macrider if you bought the Jardines new they should have a bung plug in the kit the fits it. This is so you have a choice whether to use it or not. Another way to disable the O2 sensor is to change the A/F ratio to below 14.5. The O2 sensor will work at any rpm as long as thethe A/F is set between 14.5 and 14.57 which is like Hans stated in the low idle area and cruise areas to acheive better fuel mileage. Wide band sensor read a wider A/F ratio band/
Hope this helps

Back