Introduction and problems

Gearhead

Standard Bore
Ride
2005 Rocket 3 Roadster
Hello! I am new to the Triumph family. I have been a V-Twin chopper kind of guy, but when I saw the Rocket 3 I thought man this thing is a beast. I had to have it! Sadly though I thought I was getting a deal on one that only had bad fuel. It has sat for 2 years. Going to try and clean the injectors the way I read on some of your guys U Tube link. When I test drove it it started and ran. Made it about 200 yards then started to spit and stutter jerk and backfire. Made it back and started by draining fuel and adding sea foam. Still backfire and had to feather the throttle to keep it running. I finally rode the bike home thinking the injectors would clear but nothing changed. No engine light. Took it apart and sprayed cleaner on the injectors and put it back together. Fired right up and idled for 4-5 sec. then idled up to 2000 rpm then back down to 800 ish and died. Engine light is now on. Thought I missed plugging something in. I found that I missed the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. Plugged it back in and it went back to the way it ran before but now the engine light stays on. I unplug it and it will start and do the same as mentioned before. Going to take it apart and clean the injectors (the right way) and check for bad vacuum hoses. Any input would be appreciated.

I would send the injectors off to a professional injector service. Had mine done for $18.00 each through RX Injector Service out of Houston. Tested, cleaned properly, flow tested, new filter baskets installed, new upper and lower O-rings installed, even returned with a performance sheet. All done with about one week turn around. Great service and performed for the Triumph price of o-rings alone! If interested, I'll post the performance sheet (if I can find it).

Welcome to Forum if cleaning injectors it is best to get them"ultrasonically Clkeaned" it is the only way to properly clean them, but more importantly get yourself a Tune ECU cable from here Diagnostic Interface for TuneECU Motorbikes and get the software download and also the printable user manual from here TuneECU - Links then on the tests page run the "Adjust ISCV" function this will check your TPS voltage (this is what sync the ECAU the and the throttle bodies) and then following the steps it will check the stepper motor which controls the idle.
your symptoms sound similar to what I had happen to mine it was a bad TPS, also yours being an older model when ordering a new TPS ask for one to suit a 2012 as they are better than the early ones

Welcome to Forum if cleaning injectors it is best to get them"ultrasonically Clkeaned" it is the only way to properly clean them, but more importantly get yourself a Tune ECU cable from here Diagnostic Interface for TuneECU Motorbikes and get the software download and also the printable user manual from here TuneECU - Links then on the tests page run the "Adjust ISCV" function this will check your TPS voltage (this is what sync the ECAU the and the throttle bodies) and then following the steps it will check the stepper motor which controls the idle.
your symptoms sound similar to what I had happen to mine it was a bad TPS, also yours being an older model when ordering a new TPS ask for one to suit a 2012 as they are better than the early ones
Thanks for the info. How much is the diagnostic interface

The program is a free download for a laptop running Windows, or $12 US download for an Android phone, and the cable is another $30 depending on shipping.

Back