Into the labyrinth

Skililo

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
We're back in Darkwoods and the digital eco-system of a 2013 Rocket III roadster.

This time working with TuneBoy engine management systems and a turbo-charger (TurboTune).
First thing I'm greeted with when diligently printing out all the pdf and Word files is this -

"Windows XP, which we highly recommend with our USB Interfaces." :eek:
I using a Windows 7 laptop - - - phone TuneBoy :thumbsdown:

"Just go ahead and install VAG-COM off the CD that says 'Mitsubishi' on it" (??)
OK, fine - and it gives an error, "do you want Windows to configure these drivers?"
Ahhhh...ok?

(by now any confidence is evaporating)

"You got VAG-COM installed?"
I guess so...
"Now create a separate folder under programs, and copy all the TuneBoy files into it."
"Plug in the WB-01 and run the FlashKeihnin. program."

"Is the cable plugged into the diagnostic connector on the Rocket III?"
"Then turn on the ignition."
"Does it read the flash?"
No :notworthy:
"Well that's never happened before..."
Yah, no kidding
Try again? Reinstall the drivers.
OK...still wont read.

Embarrassed pause - "let me get back to you".

Time to start running a Google search for USB driver errors on VAG-COM 409.2
- lots to read there, but nothing really helpful
- find this test page, but nothing tells me how to get the laptop USB port to read that cable (sigh) :banghead:
(oh, and forget about selecting that USB radio button - it wont work)

Then I go to the Volkswagen/Audi site - they use the same VAG-COM cable for their tuning software :rolleyes:

Nowhere else does it advise me that the COM ports cannot be configured any higher than 4
So back into Windows device manager, advanced settings - COM port name, and change it from COM port 9 or COM Port 10 to COM port 1 or COM port 2
(as long as it does not show 'in-use').

Go back to the VAG-COM program options - test o_O

Moral of the story - change your COM port settings and rename them before you try and run VAG-COM
This is even before you attempt to run TuneBoy and read the flash or download a tune map.

Otherwise you're greeted with this screen and nothing more.
I'm still waiting for TuneBoy, Australia to get back to me :ninja: thank-you Gendan and VW

Last edited:
WoW had to read that twice to fully understand it, I cant believe that TuneBoy would not have updated its soft ware, boy they really have dropped the ball!!!

Good luck Skililo, I hope you have the old ECU and not the new one. If you have the new, let me know, I'll send you all the correct software so you don't have to wait 6 months for them to do so.

WoW had to read that twice to fully understand it, I cant believe that TuneBoy would not have updated its soft ware, boy they really have dropped the ball!!!

Thank-you @HansO - the read-me word files and pdf are really confusing :thumbsdown:
The guy I spoke to was as confused as I was, so its been interesting.

Good luck Skililo, I hope you have the old ECU and not the new one. If you have the new, let me know, I'll send you all the correct software so you don't have to wait 6 months for them to do so.

Thank-you @Claviger - today am able to start working with that map, so we shall see. The ECU is standard, what comes supplied in a 2013 Rocket III roadster.

At least I have the cable reading!

Last edited:
So..... is your tuner using boost sensitive mapping with the turbo?

@Neville Lush - today is the first day am going to be able to go in and re-wipe that Flash, then download or reinstall the Tune.
Map came from TuneBoy via email and is a LiveTuneV4RoadsterTurboBIThisonet_8 data file, so shall let you know ;)

Oh good, you were already sent a version of the "LIVE" tuning software. That's the hardest part in the process. If you continue to have driver issues there is an easy fix. Do a selective boot in windows and disable "Device driver signature enforcement".

The reason some of the drivers have issues is the certificate provided to authenticate them. It's old, and no longer valid on some of the drivers out there, so if you just prevent windows from even checking, no issues. WIN10 had this issue as well.

Oh good, you were already sent a version of the "LIVE" tuning software. That's the hardest part in the process. If you continue to have driver issues there is an easy fix. Do a selective boot in windows and disable "Device driver signature enforcement".

The reason some of the drivers have issues is the certificate provided to authenticate them. It's old, and no longer valid on some of the drivers out there, so if you just prevent windows from even checking, no issues. WIN10 had this issue as well.

Thank-you @Claviger! I shall remember that :cool:

So you are the tuner? I have not seen this version of tuneboy. If it were me, (and it is not) and I was doing a turbo R3, I would go the PCV and ign module. One cannot see the raw data with the new Tuneboy anyway, so at least the PCV plugs in and works without any drama,so boost sensitive mapping is much easier to achieve without spending several days mucking about. Good luck sir.

Back