intermittent starter

triroketman

Supercharged
I have a problem with the starting system that just started today. I turn the key on and speedometer lights come on, fuel pump primes, headlights come on but when I push the starter nothing happens. Turn everything off and back on and the starter may work and it may not. Last time I tried it, it started 5 times in a row. Very intermittent. If I take to the shop, it may work and it may not and they will charge me for doing nothing. And if I take to the shop there is no way that I will get it back in time for RAA V. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
I thought about resoldering the connections in the ignition switch, but I think that is a real job to get it out.
Dave

I looked at the inner workings of my rh controls yesterday and the starter button is not that bad of a deal. One screw lets it loose and then there is a spring between the start button and the switch connections. there are two wires going into a white piece of plastic and on the other side there is a metal contact point. Check the wire connections where they go into the plastic and also the surface of the two contact points between the spring. The spring is not attached to anything so be careful not to let it fall out. The starter button will fall out also. It will only fit back into place one way. It sits in like a square with one corner rounded off. The small end of the spring fits towards the back of the button.
If everything looks good check the fuse contacts then the relay contacts. After that, I dont know what to tell you.

Its probably the kickstand or clutch kill switch. Next time it won't start cycle the kickstand up and down and the clutch in and out. I have had this problem from time to time on my 05, cycling the kickstand has always worked though sometimes it took several times and some swearing.

I took a look at the ignition switch assembly and I don't think I can get it out. It does not look like an easy job. Could someone kindly tell me what all I have to remove to get it out.
Thanks

1 Phillips head screwdriver. 1 knife. 2 steady hands.
There was a white zip tie holding the wires in the housing on mine. I cut this then unscrewed the switch backing and slowly removed the white plastic backing with 2 ( I think it was black wires ) going into it. Thats when I found the spring. The wires didn't look attached very securely so dont force it.
There are 3 different screws in the housing one holds the kill switch, the one in the middle holds the backing for the Triumph logo and the bottom is the one that you want. You might have to remove the middle screw to get the 2 kill switch wires out of the way. Beneath the black plastic backing that is in the middle there is another black piece of plastic that just sits there. It will fall out also. Its like a spacer or something.

Last edited:
I think I may have the problem solved. I disconnected the battery and proceeded to shoot the ignition switch full of cleaner and then inserted the key and moved it to every position and back and forth. Then repeated this a few times. Then I shot the cleaner on the clutch switch and then I took the starter switch apart and cleaned and lightly sanded the contacts. Put it all back together and it has started every time since. Hopefully this is all that was needed.
Thanks for all your help.
Dave
See you in KY.

Back