Interesting Article

That story has a nice ending, but let's examine a couple of points that don't make sense. It's mentioned twice the bike was turned over to Joyce AFTER being in the shop and both times the wobble was still there. My question is simple. Do these mechanics not test ride or otherwise do a quality inspection to ensure the problem is indeed gone? Why is it the customer (a non-professional) can hop on the thing and know right away something is wrong, yet the supposed pros can't/don't/won't find the problem after twice thinking it's fixed. Also, the bike had the wobble at the time of delivery. Did the dealer not pay attention during the initial test ride? That's 3 different times the dealer failed to see the problem. I find that difficult to swallow.

I realise, because you folks don't know me, that some of you may think "Wow, this cat's one of those difficult customer types". Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm very mild mannered, in reality, and I'm not a whiner/complainer type. I do, however, have high standards in MY work and I expect the same when I'm paying someone, whether it's one of my employees, a contractor, mechanic, etc...

Simply put, do what you say you're going to do when you say you're going to do it and do it right. And, with mechanical things, I would expect there to be test procedures in place to ensure the job was actually done and done right. In my world, we have these processes in place. But there's a difference. I'm an accountant. If I make a mistake, the worst thing that'll happen is the books will be off until I find it. If a mechanic makes a mistake, the ramifications range anywhere from minor annoyance to death due to mechanical failure.

I wonder how often they actually think about that.

Last edited:
Back