Intake Backfire on Stock Roadster Fix

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I know, bone stock, and almost no matter what tune I use I could get minor back fires through the intake. It happened on day 1 of owning the bike, on the way back from the dealer even. For a short time it went away but I could not figure out specifically fixed it.

So having built and dynod my own tunes, it's the one thing I could not get rid of that annoyed me.....until today!!!

I started snooping around my tunes trying to find the common thread that connected them all. It came down to one thing, I had always used the 20776 ignition tables as my basis, including the 20776 neutral position map or copied over the i3 ignition map into the neutral area.

On a guess, I threw the 20773 neutral ignition map in my most recent revision, BUT I also happened to copy over certain areas of the 20776 L table to adjust acceleration enrichment, for a totally different reason than the backfires. I can't trigger the intake backfiring even if I try repeatedly. Time will tell, but, it seems the intake backfires are triggered by too much ignition advance at 2000 RPM and under at 20% or less throttle and too rich L tables over 880 mpa, a result of basing my L tables on the 20773 map.

In the end, at least for me, using the whole 4 right most columns in L tables and the whole 20773 Ignition Neutral table has 100% eliminated the backfires :)

I'll do up a custom 20773+20776 hybrid appropriate for a stock bike for people to try if they are getting the occasional intake backfire. On a stock bike you'll feel it under your bum as a sharp pop with a fairly loud report, with K&N or RAMAIR you'll feel the thumpain on your left leg if it goes off.

As promised, this tune should fix the intake backfires, factory secondary stupidity at high RPM, and put ALL the timing back into the lower gears, Triumph didn't do that despite fixing the secondary openings in the first 2 gears. Throttle response should be slightly improved vs 20773 or 20776 maps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByAqGQEtnUs_UVZId1ptaWxrUms

As promised, this tune should fix the intake backfires, factory secondary stupidity at high RPM, and put ALL the timing back into the lower gears, Triumph didn't do that despite fixing the secondary openings in the first 2 gears. Throttle response should be slightly improved vs 20773 or 20776 maps.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByAqGQEtnUs_UVZId1ptaWxrUms
Question: just picked up our 2011 roadster (stock) only 400 miles on the bike and it acts exactly as you described the symptoms in your text. Would I need a power commander (or other tuner) to address this issue?

No, it's not a fueling issue. It's more an ignition timing thing.

Did you do your first service on it yet? Following your first service you can use TuneECU to install one of the custom tunes. 2014+ roadster tunes aren't compatible with your bike, but I can send you one to try out if you like.

I am almost positive the popping out the intake is a result of reversion,and is probably most frequent with stock intake and exhaust. I think the roadster is more prone to it than previous models.

No, it's not a fueling issue. It's more an ignition timing thing.

Did you do your first service on it yet? Following your first service you can use TuneECU to install one of the custom tunes. 2014+ roadster tunes aren't compatible with your bike, but I can send you one to try out if you like.

I am almost positive the popping out the intake is a result of reversion,and is probably most frequent with stock intake and exhaust. I think the roadster is more prone to it than previous models.
Have not serviced yet. The "tuneECU" I am unfamiliar with. I will research the tuning you mentioned so we are on the same page so to speak...

Sounds like a nice realization, congrats.

I don't have the requisite knowledge to do it myself, but do you think you could check over the R3 Touring "derestricting" tune that was created by Power-tripp and see if this might apply to it also?

It does great things for the Touring but I still get the occasional backfire from idle, which is obviously not ideal.

Edit: this one: R3T derestricting

The "tuneECU" I am unfamiliar with.

TuneECU_Start - and you need a specific quality cable to hook up to the bike, the one from Lonelec is recommended.

The Windows version is free, the Android version is cheap off the play store.

I
TuneECU_Start - and you need a specific quality cable to hook up to the bike, the one from Lonelec is recommended.

The Windows version is free, the Android version is cheap off the play store.
I did check that site out. Just a little unsure of loading a map into basically a brand new bike!

Interestingly, I spoke with Triumph (local dealer) and they had not heard of this issue.....maybe the Rocket isn't a common bike to work with?

Triumph plays dumb about everything rocket related. Its normal that they've "never heard of that", I get that answer all the time, as do many.

TuneECU is super easy to work with, the Android version is actually more reliable about the ECU connection than the windows version, and it doesn't make you do the driver dance because of driver signatures.

Don't worry about flashing a brand-new bike, it won't hurt anything any as long as its a good tune, it yields only benefits in performance and driveability.

I'll pm you a good compatible tune for your bike as well as the stock map when I get home tonight.

Triumph plays dumb about everything rocket related. Its normal that they've "never heard of that", I get that answer all the time, as do many.

TuneECU is super easy to work with, the Android version is actually more reliable about the ECU connection than the windows version, and it doesn't make you do the driver dance because of driver signatures.

Don't worry about flashing a brand-new bike, it won't hurt anything any as long as its a good tune, it yields only benefits in performance and driveability.

I'll pm you a good compatible tune for your bike as well as the stock map when I get home tonight.
Thank you for helping! I don't have an android device unfortunately.....iPhone user.....but I do have a laptop!

Back