Intake Air Temperature

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I have fitted my 2008 Touring with a bluetooth OBD reader and paired it with my phone so I can monitor engine functions. It's really kinda cool to mess with and didn't cost much. So yesterday I took a ride with some friends and was checking out different engine parameters when I came up with something that didn't make sense. Outside temp was 62 degrees F. but the intake air temperature sensor was reading 80 degrees!
That's almost 20 degrees above ambient and I'm trying to figure out why.
I have a RamAir intake filter under the bearclaw with relocated AIT sensor location supplied with the kit. I'm just trying to figure out where the heat is coming from. Is it coming from the radiator? Overflow tank? (it's in the stock location)
Anybody have back to back test of IATs with/without bearclaw to see if makes a difference?

I did the same with my R3T. I don't recall the readings, it was a long time ago. Where is your IAT sensor mounted? And was the high reading under acceleration or steady cruise. If the latter, less air flow over the sensor compared to hot air coming from the engine. But yeah, between the heat of the engine and the air coming off the back of the radiator you will see higher temps. Be interesting to see if it drops going from steady cruise to heavy acceleration.

My IAT sensor has been relocated to where the RamAir kit has provision for it, I believe it is between two of the throttle bodies. I was cruising at steady speed of 60 mph.
I agree, more research is needed, especially the heavy acceleration part!
Forgive my lack of knowledge about the RamAir kit. Does the IAT sensor mount inside the filter or is it sitting outside the filter? If it sits outside, its not really measuring IAT, its measuring intake adjacent air temperature. Which of course would be relatively still air when compared to the air being pulled into the filter and through the intake.

It is relocated inside the filter right next to the throttle bodies and is exposed to the same air temperature that is passing through the throttle bodies, so it should be measuring the temp of the air entering the engine. That's what got me wondering how the air at the throttle body opening could be 20 degrees higher than ambient. I could only think that it has to be coming from the radiator or overflow bottle. I can't think of any other place heat could come from to get inside the bear claw to affect the IAT reading. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing happening on their bikes.

It is relocated inside the filter right next to the throttle bodies and is exposed to the same air temperature that is passing through the throttle bodies, so it should be measuring the temp of the air entering the engine. That's what got me wondering how the air at the throttle body opening could be 20 degrees higher than ambient. I could only think that it has to be coming from the radiator or overflow bottle. I can't think of any other place heat could come from to get inside the bear claw to affect the IAT reading. Just wondering if anyone else had noticed the same thing happening on their bikes.
The combustion chamber itself, the intake system gets hotter than ambient for sure. Good info on the 20degrees difference, thats probably average so good info

Last edited:
Back