Insurance right off

bopa54

3rd Time Lucky
Ride
85 GS1100G, 08 R1200RT, 07/15R3 Hybrid
Any OZ riders know of any R3's written off or engines available privately or through dealers?, I am in need of a complete engine for my 2007 R3.
Any help appreciated
Bob

Any OZ riders know of any R3's written off or engines available privately or through dealers?, I am in need of a complete engine for my 2007 R3.
Any help appreciated
Bob
I'm guessing a broken crankcase ... you f#ckin need to be sitting down when you get the quote ... $10,000 here in Aus :eek:

try auction sites, i know two rockets in perth that are stat write offs, i bid on 07 one last tuesday went to 1500 but it was passed in and saw another in the yard had a silver motor, hope this helps.

Manhiem Auctions seem to run a fair few bikes through ... be worthwhile keeping an eye on their website.

What happened

Well it seems like yesterday when I was asking advice on Melbournes Toll roads, the trip had been in planning for 9 months. Ride across the Nullaboring again for the 20 something time to see Lieflong friends in the Gippsland & High country area of Victoria, then onto Mildura for the Ullysses AGM and parts of inland NSW.
The bike had been serviced (by me) oil/filter, pod filters cleaned and re-oiled new tyres front and rear, hard bags fitted and we were ready to go.

To cut a short but painfull/EXPENSIVE story down to size, the crossing of the country was a breeze the best ever in fact. 2.5 days of bliss on a bike when between Port Pirie and Port Wakefield SA the following happened:-

(I copied and pasted it from another thread)

(I have just had both the internal and external bearings go at 130 Kph on a major trip around Australia, noise was unbelievable, instant and scary 40kms from the nearest town. Finally got bike to Triumph dealer who quickly stripped bike down, diagnosis was bad both bearings had totally collapsed (exploded) the output shaft and gears were damaged. Some parts of both bearings were missing presumed travelling around engine internals somewhere and the crankcase were badly damaged internally, the whole area within the output housing was covered in a fine metal paste.
New crankcases / oil pump / output assembly and gaskets etc plus full rebuild to cost approx 10K, yes thats ten thousand dollars it would never be the same bike and I just cannot afford it. Not sure which direction to take next, secondhand engine? buy a wrecked R3? are they available?, not in a good head space right now.
RIP MY R3 )

Stuck on the side of the road, I heard several bikes approaching. I had unpacked most of my luggage to start attemting to sort the problem out, NOT one of the bikes stopped or slowed down to see what my plight was (They were Ulysses members).

I pushed the dead R3 into a farmers driveway (No one home) and left a note explaining I would be back a lone Harley rider from Whyalla stopped and gave me and all my bags a ride into Pt Wakefield.

At the BP servo I was told I had missed the Last bus to a Adelaide, a rider by the name of Colin offered me a lift to Adelaide in his wifes (Sam who worked at the servo) car.

They will never know how much I appreciatted their help, the other Ulysses members could learn a lot from them.

I hired a ute and trailer picked the bike up and took it into Peter Stevens Adelaide, the service staff Campbell and Jason were great and the head Mechanic Anto was onto it straight away. That was the end of the good news, as you will have read above the bill to reserect the R3 is beyond my finances at the moment. It may never happen? as the disaster after having to Hire a car, Trailer, Accomodation , Air ticket home, Diagnosis of the problem and Frieghting the bike home to WA it has cost me nearly $4000.

That in a Nutshell is what happened, I have a longer version (yes I do) but I did not want to subject you all to it.

I have been riding for nearly 56 years, The R3 aka the Black Rhino was the only bike i have owned that stopped me looking for the next one.

Typo (only one ?) in the previous long reply, I have been riding for nearly 50 years not 56.
My head space is buggered at the moment

Sh!t mate that's bad news. I will call a mate and see if he wants to part with his spare motor. Me and him went 50/50 in a repairable writeoff from the States. Not sure how you'll go trying to register it here but maybe it's something you could look into. They may allow you to swap VIN numbers ? Anyway i'll see what i can do to help. Chin-up mate , some- thing will come good and get you back on the road....PS mate i sat on the side of the road with a flat back tyre for an hour , half a dozen bikes just rode straight past.. not like in the old days , riders would always stop :cool:

Back