Instrument Replacement

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
One of the members asked me about swapping out the instruments
On the RIII & classic, you can swap to pretty much anything you like (after-market or even some OEM)
However the Touring & Late Model use CANBUS so not much you can do there.

I created a Key that identifies each of the signal wires at the instruments.

R3_Instruments.jpg

A couple of quick notes:
The indicator lamp signals for Neutral, Oil Pressure, Low Fuel and MIL are all active 'low'
The indicator lamp signals for Turns and Hi Beam are active 'high'
The speedo power 'out' is a switched 12V for the speed sensor.
The Alarm LED are LED voltage level signals i.e. connect directly to a bare LED, not 12V-ready LED.

Hope this is useful for anyone who chooses to go that route - thought that I should just post it up for general reference.

Last edited:
On the RIII & classic, you can swap to pretty much anything you like (after-market or even some OEM)

A couple of quick notes:
The indicator lamp signals for Neutral, Oil Pressure, Low Fuel and MIL are all active 'low'
The Alarm LED are LED voltage level signals i.e. connect directly to a bare LED, not 12V-ready LED.

Hope this is useful for anyone who chooses to go that route - thought that I should just post it up for general reference.

DEcosse,

I have seen some of your electrical wizardry on the Sprint site and have a question for you....

I have a 2006 Rocket std with a frame mounted fairing. I also have a 2006 Sprint 1050 ST.

In short my question is, can the insturment cluster from the Sprint be made to function acurately on the Rocket III? As you know the Sprint has many features that the R3 doesn't have, (fuel guage, clock etc.)

Seeing as I'm basicly an electrical dumb a$$, in your opinion is this doable or just a pipe dream?

I know that the Sprint cluster has only one large plug and the R3 has a large and a small plug for each instrument, buuuuuuuut, the large plug from the R3 will plug into the sprint cluster???????????

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Lonnie

You could fit the older 955 generation - but they're not quite as sexy

But the problem remains that there is no 'fuel level' signal out from the ECU - only the 'low' level signal

If you want a Fuel gauge, this is an awesome device -
it would need some (relatively minor) development to get the constants for speed & fuel injection rates that he needs to program into the micro.
But if he's willing to undertake that for you, I can put you in touch (especially if there was multiple interest for the R3)
For a bike type that has not been previously configured, it pretty much requires a kit with a socket with a starter chip, that then provides the data to reprogram the final chip - then the chips are just swapped out.
This should work even with the stock tach

There is an optional LCD, however the basic functionality works very well using the tach as the display (the tach will toggle between 'normal' tach mode and fuel level mode as you demand)

There ARE additional connectors under the tank for FUEL GAUGE and CLOCK which triumph sold as separate instruments. There is a fuel level sender. And in the past I did wire a fuel gauge in - but it was not easy to recalibrate the particular model I used. There are now however alternatives available so one day I might try again.

There is an optional LCD, however the basic functionality works very well using the tach as the display (the tach will toggle between 'normal' tach mode and fuel level mode as you demand)
Hmm - wonder how that would fare with my Tacho converted to GPS Speedo (so GPS-speed or Fuel) Hmmm.

Last edited:
Sorry - I now see the connectors on the diagram for Fuel Gauge and Clock accessories -it's not part of the main instrument connection, as you point out there as a separate auxiliary connector.

Last edited:

A couple of quick notes:

Understanding that this is an extremely old post, I was hoping that possibly someone would have a copy of the diagram that DeCosse had shared? doing an instrument swap with the Dakota Digital system and am trying to figure out the wiring. I do have a manual but Im having issues deciphering exactly which i need to use, and i have a feeling this diagram is exactly what i need.

I just edited the original post and reloaded the image/instrument wiring key back in there

Just one additional note on that - those wire colours are all on the main harness side of the OEM Instruments sub-harness - on that sub-harness the colours may not be exactly the same so check back against the main harness side of that if you re-purposing the OEM sub-harness

Back