Installing Samco Hoses

CrzystghndKC

Triumph guy happy he didn't work for Harley.
Ride
Triumph: 2005 & 2011 R3 Roadster
I know some of you have installed them. How much time and pain is involved in the process for your average wrencher wanting to disassemble as little as possible? Would doing this when I have my crash bars off be a plus in the install? Thanks

From a practical standpoint, you should detach the radiator. Some other places are a bit tight, though manageable with patience.

From a practical standpoint, you should detach the radiator. Some other places are a bit tight, though manageable with patience.
Thank you. That something I really dread because I was trying to take off the shroud the other day. All went well till I got to the part below the radiator only two screws. One came right out but the second not so good, in fact I gave up because I didn't want to strip it. I have no idea why it won't budge. It's like it was welded in. I really sprayed it with WD and haven't attempted it again. Since it screws right into the radiator it scares me to use much force. Might have use a torch but once again it's part of the radiator.:eek::eek::mad:

On which bike are you working ? (seems you are fortunate enough to have two)

I just followed the manual on mine, and don't remember any difficulty removing anything.

The main thing that irritated me was all the missing pieces from when the bike was assembled (I bought it new). Fortunately, they were all available from Hermey's and except for all my mods, what isn't modded conforms to the manual.

Is it possible someone used LocTite ?

On which bike are you working ? (seems you are fortunate enough to have two)

I just followed the manual on mine, and don't remember any difficulty removing anything.

The main thing that irritated me was all the missing pieces from when the bike was assembled (I bought it new). Fortunately, they were all available from Hermey's and except for all my mods, what isn't modded conforms to the manual.

Is it possible someone used LocTite ?
I am working on the 05 because I think age dictates the replacement of the hoses.

I am working on the 05 because I think age dictates the replacement of the hoses.
I'd say its about a 1 to 1.5 hours not hurrying. But I think I can do it in under a hour if I was ambitious

Either way I don't see a need to remove the crash bars.

Last edited:
Thank you. That something I really dread because I was trying to take off the shroud the other day. All went well till I got to the part below the radiator only two screws. One came right out but the second not so good, in fact I gave up because I didn't want to strip it. I have no idea why it won't budge. It's like it was welded in. I really sprayed it with WD and haven't attempted it again. Since it screws right into the radiator it scares me to use much force. Might have use a torch but once again it's part of the radiator.:eek::eek::mad:

When removing my lower shroud recently I encountered a frozen screw......a torx head type like all the shroud covers use. The Torx head part of the screw striped out but fortunately the next higher Torx size worked and I was able to break the screw free with no damage. I've also had to use a Dremel tool to cut a deep cross or X into the head of Torx screws in order to get enough force on them with a big straight blade screwdriver to break them free....especially a couple holding on the muffler(silencer)tips. Sometimes an impact driver....the manual spring-loaded type that you use with a hammer........ works well......but I would hesitate to use it on these Torx screws going into the radiator unless you are pretty gentle about it.........and if you do..... make sure you have the driver in unscrew rather than screw mode. :)

PS Reading this old thread again I see I referred to the shroud screws as Torx heads.......they are not, they are Allen heads. My bad. My Harley is the bike with numerous Torx head screws. o_O:banghead:

Last edited:
Oh and important if your pulling the radiator without removing the fender put a bath towel over the fender so you don't scratch it. Leave large front mesh screen on the radaitor. Do not forget to plug the fan back in. It's pllug connector is right near the front right neck infill panel.

Back