Installing multiple auxiliary lights.

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I presently have Kuryakyn lamps bolted and wired into my stock turn signal bar that the previous owner had done at the Triumph dealership. It has the Triumph light switch, wiring harness and all.

Aux Lights.jpg

My intention was to to move them to mounts on the the crash bars but now I just bought the Triumph Auxiliary Lamp Kit. One can't have too much lighting so my intention is to have both.

What I am uncertain about is hooking them up. Can they be mounted in series off the same switch or should I put them on separate circuits? That would be another switch somewhere and more wiring from the battery. The Kuryis are halogen as are the H3 bulbs in the Triumph lights.

Triumph wanted about $15 for the bulbs so I passed on that.

I would use a PDM60 and use 1 switch to operate all 6 circuits - Gives you a lot of amperage. Convert everything to LED and you'd have a good 60,000lumens up there. If that's not enough I would have said you need some new eyes.

I presently have Kuryakyn lamps bolted and wired into my stock turn signal bar that the previous owner had done at the Triumph dealership. It has the Triumph light switch, wiring harness and all.

Aux Lights.jpg

My intention was to to move them to mounts on the the crash bars but now I just bought the Triumph Auxiliary Lamp Kit. One can't have too much lighting so my intention is to have both.

What I am uncertain about is hooking them up. Can they be mounted in series off the same switch or should I put them on separate circuits? That would be another switch somewhere and more wiring from the battery. The Kuryis are halogen as are the H3 bulbs in the Triumph lights.

Triumph wanted about $15 for the bulbs so I passed on that.

If you wire up the triumph lights with the wiring kit that comes with it, it uses a separate circuit rated and fused at 15amps with a relay that all plugs in under your gas tank with a modular plug. Their is also a modular plug for heated hand grips that you could use thru another relay triggered off of the same handle bar aux switch.

Mike change the stock headlight out that will help you out, love the handicap sticker on a motorbike:D

Not my handicap tag Dave. I'm not there yet but working on it. :( I have a H4 LED light sitting on my work bench that I'm going to install but I was not quite clear about having all the lights. The present configuration is just OK for illumination of the road but I also want the guy coming at me to see me better with the multiple lights. Along with that I can tilt out the repositioned spt lights out just a bit to illuminate outward.

Jag, because I have the Triumph auxiliary switch mounted on my left handlebar, I'm sure I have the Triumph wiring harness. The kit comes with another one. It was cheaper buying the entire kit with another harness than getting the parts individually. Upon reflection, it might come with a handlebar switch and rely so that would solve the problem. I'll wait to see what's in the box and then revisit this thread.

F3D48916-8016-423E-A1DD-CB21C196A5BA.jpeg

Do you have this set up on your bike?? Also do you have a wiring schematic of your bike??

Attachments

• B5A04594-3B65-4484-9593-C48B5BE70BC7.jpeg
    B5A04594-3B65-4484-9593-C48B5BE70BC7.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2
Yes, that is what I have Jag. As to the the wiring schematic, I have a factory shop manual so assume it is in there.

And on wiring, you had mentioned to one of our newer members in another thread that we don't need the EB headlight relay on the Touring. What's that all about? I was not aware that it's not required.

On the modulator Dave, I have seen them and yes, irritating as the devil.

Yes, that is what I have Jag. As to the the wiring schematic, I have a factory shop manual so assume it is in there.

And on wiring, you had mentioned to one of our newer members in another thread that we don't need the EB headlight relay on the Touring. What's that all about? I was not aware that it's not required.

On the modulator Dave, I have seen them and yes, irritating as the devil.

One headlight current is half of std,classic, roadster they had problems. Touring not really any issue.

The switch to the right of the headlight dip switch is for the triumph aux light, pre wired and under the fuel tank. Your good to go.

... What I am uncertain about is hooking them up. Can they be mounted in series off the same switch or should I put them on separate circuits? That would be another switch somewhere and more wiring from the battery ....

They would be wired in PARALLEL, not series

A lot depends on what the total draw of the lamps is going to be.
You can certainly use the single OEM switch, because that is only low current circuit to operate the relay.
So as long as you don't mind having independence over the circuits (i.e. all or nothing) then you can retain just the single switch operation.

It may well be that the dealer who did the initial install used the Triumph Wiring Harnesses for the OEM aux lamps, but simply the actual Kuryakyn lamps rather than the OEM

If you switch all four to LED, you can probably just add the parallel wiring to the new lamps.
With 4 incandescent at 55W, then you will need to beef things up a bit
It would actually be best to run another relay and you can simply supply the power from this from a fused circuit off battery and the control for this relay would just be parallel to the OEM kit relay.
I can draw you up a schematic if you need one

Back