Installed TuneBoy, Removed O2 Sensor, Runs Rough Cold

Doug Meek

.020 Over
I just finished installing TORS, cat delete pipe, and TuneBoy on my '06 RIII standard. I also removed the O2 sensor, unchecked the O2 sensor box in TuneBoy, and for good measure I also installed the Dynojet O2 sensor delete. The bike gained a tremendous amount of top end power, bottom end seems about the same. I installed Wayne's custom 20050 tune for my exact setup. I love the way the bike runs EXCEPT for when it's cold. It hesitates somewhat off idle (especially when cold) and takes quite a while to warm up, whereas in stock configuration it ran flawlessly at all rpm. It never use to hesitate at all at any rpm.

Am I correct in assuming that the O2 sensor is responsible for making the bike run properly when cold? I can live with this issue, but it sure does take a long time for my bike to warm up now. It's not like I live in Michigan either. I'm near Los Angeles where we ride year round. Cold for us is 50 degrees. Does anyone else out there have the same problem since disconnecting your O2 sensor? Is there a fix? I don't want to monkey around too much with the TuneBoy tables. I'm not afraid to try, but I figured that Wayne's custom map for my exact configuration should have me pretty near optimum.

I'm a little concerned because I've done a ton of reading on the TuneBoy, and I don't recall hearing about anyone else experiencing the rough running when cold issue. If the O2 sensor is my problem as I suspect, perhaps I'll just reinstall it. Thanks in advance for any input!

Doug

Last edited:
Doug,
sounds like your a little off on your bottom. If your popping a little sharp on decelleration, you may be lean.... if not, you could be fat. try going up/down on your 1500-2500 range.

greg

Thanks for the response guys. My idle is set at 750 so I'll bump it to 850. If that doesn't help, I'll also try fattening the 1500 - 2500. Thanks again!

Doug

I just finished installing TORS, cat delete pipe, and TuneBoy on my '06 RIII standard. I also removed the O2 sensor, unchecked the O2 sensor box in TuneBoy, and for good measure I also installed the Dynojet O2 sensor delete. The bike gained a tremendous amount of top end power, bottom end seems about the same. I installed Wayne's custom 20050 tune for my exact setup. I love the way the bike runs EXCEPT for when it's cold. It hesitates somewhat off idle (especially when cold) and takes quite a while to warm up, whereas in stock configuration it ran flawlessly at all rpm. It never use to hesitate at all at any rpm.

Am I correct in assuming that the O2 sensor is responsible for making the bike run properly when cold? I can live with this issue, but it sure does take a long time for my bike to warm up now. It's not like I live in Michigan either. I'm near Los Angeles where we ride year round. Cold for us is 50 degrees. Does anyone else out there have the same problem since disconnecting your O2 sensor? Is there a fix? I don't want to monkey around too much with the TuneBoy tables. I'm not afraid to try, but I figured that Wayne's custom map for my exact configuration should have me pretty near optimum.

I'm a little concerned because I've done a ton of reading on the TuneBoy, and I don't recall hearing about anyone else experiencing the rough running when cold issue. If the O2 sensor is my problem as I suspect, perhaps I'll just reinstall it. Thanks in advance for any input!

Doug

You could also try one of the (modified 20050 Tuneboy tune for TORs/cat bypass) tunes where we've fattened up the L tables:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Back