Increasing power and newbie questions

Laverada

2016 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Ride
2016 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Hey everyone I'm sure this is a common question but Id like to clarify my situation and find the best solution.

I have a new 2016 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster and I'm looking to increase power, performance and Sound better.

My dealership explained to me with just a tune boy, new exhaust and air intake system I could get nearly 40+ horsepower gains. I was a bit surprised by that claim but I haven't dealt with 2300cc before. So my question to you who have experience in adding these features to your bike...Is this True?

If this isnt true what are some of your ideas? Ive heard alot about the carpenter rebuild, but that seems to be a bit overkill for my needs...or is it, I seem to always want more.

Would love to hear your thoughts, ideas, questions, and any other input is appreciated!

Thanks

Hello Laverada and welcome from Virginia. Your dealer is telling you the least expensive way. A new tune that you can find here on the forum and better intake/exhaust are what many of us do. Others will send their bike to Carpenter Racing in NJ and roughly double the OEM HP and Tq. Others go the way of turbo or super charging. This engine can handle a lot of power upgrades.

Be aware that an exhaust to get you the extra 40 ponies includes header pipes and is expensive, $1500, plus.
Horsepower ain't cheap.
If your dealer tunes with Tuneboy, you are a lucky guy. Where are you located?

Welcome to the site from sunny Southern California! Where are you from?
Your initial power and sound upgrade path should be:
1) Remove the stock air intake system and place a filter right on the throttle bodies. Popular filters are (3) K&Ns, Ramair, and others.
2) Replace the entire 1-5/8" exhaust with one from CES (1-7/8", Australia), Reband (1-7/8" Australia), @Paul Bryant (1-7/8" New Zealand), or Carpenter Racing (2" New Jersey).
3) Get the bike dyno tuned using TuneEcu (or at least put in a tune designed for a '16 Roadster with those mods using the TuneECU Lonelec cable).
Doing all three together will drop 50 lbs from the bike (heavy cats in both mufflers), eliminate the factory lean running conditions, sound awesome, and give you a smooth 155 rwhp and 155 ft-lb tq. Don't do one until you're prepared to do all three.

Nice, Thanks for the input guys. I live in Seattle,WA to answer those of you who asked. My dealer is Triumph of Seattle, and in fact I did see another rocket in the back getting worked on and they told me they were just finishing up with the carpenter upgrade.

They also said they havent done anything with superchargers or turbos on the r3 but would be willing to take on the project if need be. What all is involved with that process?

I'm also curious what you guys have done to your bikes would love to hear more!

Nice, Thanks for the input guys. I live in Seattle,WA to answer those of you who asked. My dealer is Triumph of Seattle, and in fact I did see another rocket in the back getting worked on and they told me they were just finishing up with the carpenter upgrade.

They also said they havent done anything with superchargers or turbos on the r3 but would be willing to take on the project if need be. What all is involved with that process?

I'm also curious what you guys have done to your bikes would love to hear more!
Perfect, meet up with Steve @1olbull and take your Rocket to Nels at 2 Wheel DynoWorks for all your tuning needs. All member and tuner experience speaks against forced induction, but there are some here who have gone that way. TTS in England makes some SC kits for the Rocket but you should chat with @warp9.9 about it first.

Cool! Thanks for the info! I dont think I would put a sc on this system but I'm always curious. Also another question I have is if I were to get a carpenter kit installed lets say the 240 hp package for example, could i still use this bike as a cruiser and take trips, ride around town etc? Or is this going to cause problems, are there problems/downside to know about with upgrading to carpenter? Thanks again

Back