Improved OEM header?

leatal

Turbocharged
Ride
2014 Roadster, 2020 Rocket GT
Saw a picture of this OEM header setup (see attached) by TTS on Facebook. E-mailed them and got this response from Richard:

"Basically the std headers have an inner heat shield as well as the chrome covers. SO by removing that inner shield and just using heat wrap we can create enough room to up the bore sizes by ¼ inch which obviously releases back pressure. By removing the metal gasket where the headers join the exhausts we can keep the pipe diameter up by the ¼ inch as well. We have also put a Lambda boss in each header so fine tuning can be done. Additionally the blanking plug has a 6mm thread in it to mount the chrome covers too. We made it primarily for complementing our supercharger conversions and it has really made a big improvement, improvements to NA should be there but we have not tested. I am just about to get a batch of 10 made and the price will be £530.00 +vat. if applicable. I utilize the stainless flanges off the original headers so its an exchange service unless I can pick up some headers off ebay. I could supply systems without the flange if you wanted to get yours welded on locally."

On the Facebook page, they say it gave an additional 30 HP on the supercharged engine. I wonder what kind of increase on the NA engine??
After checking into all the available headers for the Rocket, I find they all have drawbacks: CES/Rebands- made of mild steel, Carp Sidewinder- too large in diameter and no baffle. Plus none have a complete heat shield. So here I am, kicking around the idea of this setup tied into a Brocks Street Meg muffler. I know a true header will make more power, but this setup should give good HP numbers, provide a tighter fitting exhaust, complete heat shields, all stainless, and for under $1300 plus shipping and labor to mate to the Brocks muffler! Perhaps someone with exhaust knowledge can chime in with opinions on this endeavor.

Attachments

• oem upgrade.jpg
    oem upgrade.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
Interesting. Do you put the chrome cover back on over the heat wrap?

Is this a proceedure they do to your exhaust or a modified exhaust they sell.

Interesting. Do you put the chrome cover back on over the heat wrap?

Is this a proceedure they do to your exhaust or a modified exhaust they sell.
It sounds like they cut the exhaust flanges from the exhaust, clean them out, weld in larger diameter primaries, and install mounting tabs for the chrome covers. They say wrap header primaries, I was thinking to glue insulation material to inside chrome covers. Looking closer at the picture, it seems they are much larger than stock and look to flow more streamlined from cylinders two and three into the collector. I will e-mail Richard and get more information as is looks interesting and easily doable!

Last edited:
On Naturally aspirated engines, that did not get an appropriate ECU tune, you might find the ECU unable to cope at certain rpms, and it might run horribly lean, it might over the long run burn the valves. But with the right tune you could probably get 10 or so horsepower. Maybe more, but the thing is, when you open up the pipes, you often move the torque curve up high, so that you don't get any power til the engine is screaming. Of course a supercharger and a big fat fuel pump help bring all that back into the normal operating range.

IMG_0833.jpg
Saw a picture of this OEM header setup (see attached) by TTS on Facebook. E-mailed them and got this response from Richard:

"Basically the std headers have an inner heat shield as well as the chrome covers. SO by removing that inner shield and just using heat wrap we can create enough room to up the bore sizes by ¼ inch which obviously releases back pressure. By removing the metal gasket where the headers join the exhausts we can keep the pipe diameter up by the ¼ inch as well. We have also put a Lambda boss in each header so fine tuning can be done. Additionally the blanking plug has a 6mm thread in it to mount the chrome covers too. We made it primarily for complementing our supercharger conversions and it has really made a big improvement, improvements to NA should be there but we have not tested. I am just about to get a batch of 10 made and the price will be £530.00 +vat. if applicable. I utilize the stainless flanges off the original headers so its an exchange service unless I can pick up some headers off ebay. I could supply systems without the flange if you wanted to get yours welded on locally."

On the Facebook page, they say it gave an additional 30 HP on the supercharged engine. I wonder what kind of increase on the NA engine??
After checking into all the available headers for the Rocket, I find they all have drawbacks: CES/Rebands- made of mild steel, Carp Sidewinder- too large in diameter and no baffle. Plus none have a complete heat shield. So here I am, kicking around the idea of this setup tied into a Brocks Street Meg muffler. I know a true header will make more power, but this setup should give good HP numbers, provide a tighter fitting exhaust, complete heat shields, all stainless, and for under $1300 plus shipping and labor to mate to the Brocks muffler! Perhaps someone with exhaust knowledge can chime in with opinions on this endeavor.
Well, I don't think it makes any sense to do that for a normally aspirated motor. The gain would likely be minimal. It does make more area inside the pipes but misses the main point of headers, and that is "scavenging". That's why equal length is so important. Also the bung holes are kinda useless for anything but a racing application I'd like to see how far out each of the O2 sensors would stick. That same money would get you a nice set of Paul Bryant headers and they don't exhibit the same heat issues that you are referring too. He built them with that in mind and they are no hotter than stock. He makes them custom to whatever muffler system you like as well.

I know im resurrecting a bit of an old thread here but has anybody tried these TTS headers since they came out? Im asking as going to go for the TTS supercharger kit next winter but seeing if theres any parts like the headers I can purchase and fit along the way to make it easier to spread the cost out and reduce the big bill at the end.

I know im resurrecting a bit of an old thread here but has anybody tried these TTS headers since they came out? Im asking as going to go for the TTS supercharger kit next winter but seeing if theres any parts like the headers I can purchase and fit along the way to make it easier to spread the cost out and reduce the big bill at the end.
If you are going to do the supercharger, it would be probably be worthwhile to do the header mod too....the supercharger may well be very nice on the stock pipe, but it will be nirvanna if the engine can push out all the air the supercharger wants to push in!

This guy is a hoot, I bet he'd be great to have a beer with.

WHY pay a ton of money for them when you can a full system that does a better job

1. Im located in the UK where they are made.
2. Being UK made means they are not subject to import duty like the new zealand, US and australian alternatives which have around 30% extra costs in import duty, vat and customs handling fees added on to consider.
3. Without considering the extra import costs they still work out around half the price of the alternatives, less once the additional charges are factored in.
4. I like the look of them as they will fit under my original chrome heatshields and look OEM
5. They are stainless steel
6. I would like to keep my triple tors silencer setup.
7. They were designed to go along with the TTS supercharger conversion which from my original post you can read I intend to fit when I can afford it.

The question was has anyone tried these since they came out, with or without a supercharger so I could be better informed about them and find out if they have been run on an engine WITHOUT the supercharger and if so how they affected the engines power output and characteristics. As I said the charger is expensive, I am looking to see if there are any parts I can fit along the way to offset the big bill of the supercharger kit itself at the end of the process and still have a nice to ride, usable machine in the mean time.

Back