importing a Triumph

Macrider

I,m a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.
Ride
2010 Triumph R3T Black "Darksider" imitation 70cc motorized "Harley Davidson" bicycle
To those of you that are Canadian and own a Triumph motorcycle that you bought in the U.S recently and brought back to Canada.
I am concerned about the RIV process (recall clearance letter)
If you have recently gone thru this did RIV accept the download on the Triumph website as being ok? Instead of a letter?
This is the download I am talking about.
Triumph - Recall & Tech Update VIN Enquiry
thanks for any help.

To those of you that are Canadian and own a Triumph motorcycle that you bought in the U.S recently and brought back to Canada.
I am concerned about the RIV process (recall clearance letter)
If you have recently gone thru this did RIV accept the download on the Triumph website as being ok? Instead of a letter?
This is the download I am talking about.
Triumph - Recall & Tech Update VIN Enquiry
thanks for any help.

I have a canadian R3 but I have imported ford trucks and twice I had to provide actual letters of recall to the RIV for import they did not accept my printed download. there is a phone number somewhere about the RIV if you are in quebec check it out
but I would guess try to get the actual letter of no recall if you can you will avoid hassle for sure when you register the bike for inspection

Importing a bike to canada

Thank you albertaduke for your answer.
I got a very informative email back from RIV.
I am posting it here in case it helps other Canadians that may want to bring a bike or car across the border.

Good day -----
Thank you for your recent inquiry.

Please note to provide recall clearance documents as an attachment.
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles makes every effort to assist the importer with the importation process. Recall clearance, however, is the responsibility of the importer. The RIV will require confirmation that there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle before we can issue the federal inspection form.

In order to assist the manufacturers with future recalls after the initial importation process, RIV forwards a list of vehicle identification numbers to each manufacturer, alerting them to the fact that the vehicles are now in Canada. This information can assist the manufacturer in locating the current owner of the vehicle should there be any future recalls.

Recall clearance indicates the absence of any safety defect on your vehicle that would be identified by the manufacturer as posing a potential safety risk to the vehicle’s operator, occupants and public at large unless corrected.

We recommend, whenever possible, that you obtain your recall clearance before you import the vehicle in order to avoid any unforeseen delays or additional expenses.
Since the most current information is required to confirm recall clearance, please note that recall documents need to have been issued no more than 30 days prior to the date of importation.
There are three types of recall clearance information acceptable to RIV:
  • A letter from the manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office, written on company letterhead, stating clearly that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. This letter must be dated and duly signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer, along with his/her name and position within the company. The letter must include the vehicle identification number, make, model and model year. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will not be accepted. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

• A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling the manufacturer’s head office and providing them with the location of the dealership in question. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number, year, make and model of the vehicle and with no indication of an outstanding recall. RIV routinely forwards copies of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

• Some manufacturers make their VIN specific recall information available on their public web sites; if this is the case, RIV will verify the information and release the inspection form.
For further details on your vehicle's recall clearance and contact information for your manufacturer, please visit https://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx.

Once you have obtained sufficient recall documentation, please forward the information to our office in an attachement. You may either fax a copy to 1-888-642-9899 or E-mail a copy to recall@riv.ca. Please include the number of your vehicle import form with the recall document. Recall review can take up to one full business day.

If you have any questions that are not answered by the previous links provided, please contact our office at 1-888-848-8240 or send another email to info@riv.ca.

Sincerely

Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Back