IMPORTANT NOTE for TuneECU User !

Tom-Hamburg

Supercharged
14-November-2012- IMPORTANT NOTE:

Attention !! The following models are factory equipped with an anti-tamper system:

• Triumph Tiger Explorer, all models
  • new Triumph Trophy, all models
  • new Triumph Street Triple from model 2013 and upwards
  • new Daytona 675 from model 2013 and upwards

Never connect TuneECU with these models

The Rocket Roadster Model 2013 is not affected
and continue to compatible with TuneECU.

BR, Tom

Last edited:
Seems dumb on Triumph's part, that would preclude me buying any of those models.

What does anti tamper really mean, does it explode if you hook up the Tune ECU? What will happen if you hook up to it.

What does anti tamper really mean, does it explode if you hook up the Tune ECU? What will happen if you hook up to it.

If I remember rightly I was told by my local dealer that the ECU is locked by this anti tamper system.. if anyone tries to change the map in the ECU... when you restart it the changed map causes the ECU to go into a Safe Limp Mode meaning you can ride it but only at a crawl normally this mode is to get you of the road during an ECU Failure, then your into trucking or trailering..

The ECU can only be reset by Triumph UK .. so you have to pay big time for a new ECU or Pay & Wait' for the your original ECU to be shipped to and from the big T'

I think this is correct.. but if not someone will update..

By this measure, the manufacturer wants itself protect against unauthorized warranty claim proves.

How exactly this effect is, since the information are not uniform.

But what however is fact, it will generate a DTC and the MIL comes on permanently.

These DTC can only be reset at the factory. The dealer can not.

E.g. for the Triumph Explorer it is the P1604 = "ECM tamper detected - return to Triumph"

BR, Tom

This is becoming increasingly common with vehicle manufacturers and I'm not sure there isn't governmental influences involved as well.

The EU is currently discussing making all modifications to vehicles illegal. bastards :mad:

This is becoming increasingly common with vehicle manufacturers and I'm not sure there isn't governmental influences involved as well.

The EU is currently discussing making all modifications to vehicles illegal. bastards :mad:

Yep.. I think your onto it mate, just look around at the technoligy thats already in use :(

The EU is currently discussing making all modifications to vehicles illegal.
Yes and no.

There has been MASSIVE lobbying from after market LEGAL suppliers - and as long as it's €-marked all should stay as is. The UK will see a change - but most of Europe already meets the proposals.

A trial attempt was made in the EU backwater (Spain) to force Type Approval (at the initiative of Harley btw) and backfired with EU legal support.

As for the ECM anti tamper. Whilst it's a PITA for the very few of us who have some idea what we're doing - I've a mate who's a mechanic who sees about 5 cars a month with f*cked up ECM's - using some form of software. Almost all those in warranty are trying to get it fixed for free. They don't.

The anti tamper proposals are pretty much universally supported by the mfr's. And I do understand their point. It's not only aimed at bikes. And it's not timed. ECM's are not THAT clever. iirc the Triumph system basically has two computers inside. One to control the engine one to monitor "stuff".

Note that piggy-back systems will still work. So unless you have something awkward like secondary butterflies - just about everything can probably be overridden. Since I fitted a PCV - the only thing I have really changed at all in the stock tune are the butterfly positions. And I'd be quite happy to have them stock again. The PCV overrides the fueling

Wont be long before somebody offers complete alternative ECMs for "track use" - esp for something mainstream like Street Triples.

But yes - if and when I buy another bike it will be OLD.

Back