I'm Taking this incident as a "Glass half full" issue.

Akita Man

.040 Over
0830151941.jpg
Last evening I rolled the Rocket X out for an early evening spin (only 400 miles on her in the last 2 weeks). I Cranked her over once and dead! Checked the fuses. Upon inspecting the battery I noticed the ground side of the battery cable completely broke. Based on the level of corrosion in the cracked area...the fracture has been there a while.
The glass half full issue comes in that this occurred in my driveway and not miles from home.

Should I let the dealer handle this? Not enough length to cut the cable and install a new crimped end...I need to pry off the old one and source a new one. I am not sure the dealer will trailer back to the shop. I hate to have her down for such a simple fix.

Guys check your terminals for 2015 MY bikes just to be safe.

I'd jury rig it, so you can get it to the dealer, let them fix it, you paid all that money.

The top post on the battery looks different. Of course the picture is not large enough to see you set up. Did them buggers take the bent battery end and straighten it out so it slide int he battery post? Just curious as those are usually at a 90 degree bend so they come up the side of the battery and reach over the top for the battery bolt to fit down thru. The dealer should install a new one. I to would take it to them.

The top post on the battery looks different. Of course the picture is not large enough to see you set up. Did them buggers take the bent battery end and straighten it out so it slide int he battery post? Just curious as those are usually at a 90 degree bend so they come up the side of the battery and reach over the top for the battery bolt to fit down thru. The dealer should install a new one. I to would take it to them.
looks like he is just holding it straight as I has broken at the bend- I suspect he has not noticed that they are indeed bent at 90 deg as only had for a short time.

Looks to me like it was originally 90° and someone hammered it flat.
I see what appears to be lateral stress fractures across the face and what looks to be a radius that once was . . .
I'd have the dealer replace it AND the positive and offer to pay a tad extra for #4.

Back