I'm going to change tire at 8000 km (5000Miles)

Allan S

Simple African lad with a Rocket
Ride
2016 Roadster-skunk
I want to use Avon cobras. What size tyres are recommended for front and rear. I have 13.5 inch shocks and have been told a 140 tire in front is the way to go for improved handling?

Put a Bridgestone E-Max on the rear. 240/55R16. Be aware with ABS you have to be a bit more careful than we pre-ABS folk. @1olbull has some good info on sizes that can and cannot be mixed. I use a 150/70VR17 on the front. Just as good as the 140 I had on prior to this.

Possible-Rocket-Roadster-Tires.jpg Comparison-of-R3R-Tire-Sizes.jpg

Comparison-of-R3R-Tire-Sizes.jpg Possible-Rocket-Roadster-Tires.jpg
Here youse go . . .

Thank you!
Does the fact that I put on Hagon Nitros 240mm which is 3/4 inch longer than stock make a difference to the charts. I know the axle height remains unchanged but the loading on the front tyre will be heavier and wheelbase very slightly shortened right?

Before the ogres snap, 340mm I think you meant;):D

Axle height should increase at least .5" from 12.5" length stock. Add a Exedra Max with an extra .5 " and you get a full inch, most blokes would pay a fortune for an extra inch;):p
)
Match with a 140 front tyre which (I am yet to do myself) and you should end up with a far sharper steering response than stock.

Last edited:
Before the ogres snap, 340mm I think you meant;):D

Axle height should increase at least .5" from 12.5" length stock. Add a Exedra Max with an extra .5 " and you get a full inch, most blokes would pay a fortune for an extra inch;):p
)
Match with a 140 front tyre which (I am yet to do myself) and you should end up with a far sharper steering response than stock.
I agree that the taller tire will raise the axle. But the shock can't raise it.

I know the axle height remains unchanged but the loading on the front tyre will be heavier and wheelbase very slightly shortened right?
A tiny change in head rake and thus trail (on linear suspension) - and miniscule weight shift. The rear axle height being raised (and/or front dropped) does indeed load the forks especially under braking. An R3 in OEM condition actually nose dives very little. This is not too evident with stock suspension - but it is with sorted geometry.

The Exedra Max 240/55 R16 raises the rear axle up .5 inch and levels both axles. The 140/75R 17 front lowers the front axle .5 inch and decreases trail which quickens steering.
Use of taller shocks does not affect axle height, but it does affect (reduce) rake & trail, further quickening steering and reducing higher speed stability.

Back