I'm giving the darkside a try!

rocketbill

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Just put a uniroyal tiger paw gtz 245/50-16 on i'll give a report shortly on how it rides. If i don't like it i'm going to go with avon, have heard good things about them.

Attachments

• 100_7287.jpg
    100_7287.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_7289.jpg
    100_7289.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 192
Just put a uniroyal tiger paw gtz 245/50-16 on i'll give a report shortly on how it rides. If i don't like it i'm going to go with avon, have heard good things about them.

Before you decide you do not like the D.S make sure you try different tire pressures.
start at about 38 psi and keep going down till you find sweet spot.
Mine is 32psi solo and 34 when 2 up.

Welcome to the darkside.

Just a couple of comments about your selection. Just my opinion and I'm not trying to offend.

1. A 245/50 in a car tire profile is going to be really meaty looking but is also going to be quite a handful in handling. It can be done but most darksiders have settled on the 225/55 as the best fit for the Rocket. It turns easier yet still gives all the benefits of the darkside.

2. The tread pattern on this model is not symmetrical. I don't know if you will notice any issues but it would make me uneasy. In the wet, could it possibly favor one side or the other? I don't know.

Give us a report after 1,000 or so miles. Happy riding!

I know of at least one other rider running asymmetrical tread and not aware of any problems with it. He's a very experienced rider so I presume he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't do it though.

Hanso has a 245 D/S on his and shows no signs of having handling issues....:D

If you don't like the D/S maybe give the Bridgstone Exedra Max a go. I found it handles better than Avon and gives at least 50% better mileage (100% better than Mtz). It is a 240/55 so has higher profile but I, and just about everyone else using them, see that as big plus.

Thanks for the suggegtions everyone, got the tire on the bike and went for a short ride this last evening. The handling at very slow speed is definately different-heavy but once you get speed up its no problem. This tire will take some getting used to compared to metzler but i think it will work out, i will report once the riding season is over which won't be a lot longer here.

I know of at least one other rider running asymmetrical tread and not aware of any problems with it. He's a very experienced rider so I presume he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't do it though.

Hanso has a 245 D/S on his and shows no signs of having handling issues....:D

If you don't like the D/S maybe give the Bridgstone Exedra Max a go. I found it handles better than Avon and gives at least 50% better mileage (100% better than Mtz). It is a 240/55 so has higher profile but I, and just about everyone else using them, see that as big plus.
yes I have no handling isues with the 245 width but I also run a symmetrical tyre as I post in the other thread where you announced you were planning to try the dark side, I would not be comfortable running your tyre choice Sorry but I am going to be blunt would you put a bike tyre on backwards because essentially that is what you have done on one side, anyway take care and I hope I am wrong but if your exprience is unfavourable I think you should look at one of the others that are loved by their users

yes I have no handling isues with the 245 width but I also run a symmetrical tyre as I post in the other thread where you announced you were planning to try the dark side, I would not be comfortable running your tyre choice Sorry but I am going to be blunt would you put a bike tyre on backwards because essentially that is what you have done on one side, anyway take care and I hope I am wrong but if your exprience is unfavourable I think you should look at one of the others that are loved by their users

At this big risk of being called hypocritical la la la l al a.... and even though i am not going to re state my position on DS versus bike tyre, I am going to very definitely have to put my personal opinion aside and make a comment that I think needs to be reiterated.

What Hanso has said I would DEFINITELY suggest you have a serious think about. IF you are going to go DS at the very very least you must fit an symmetrical tyre. I don't want to be alarmist and certainly cant speak from personal experience on bikes but if it is as significant on 4 wheels as it is you can only multiply that exponentially on 2 wheels. Fitting a directional tyre backward or an asymmetrical tyre is just plain silly.

You do realise that running an asymmetrical tyre on the back of a bike and riding in the rain will cause some serious side forces. Imagine aqua plain in a car. the forces shake a 2 tonne car around and you have opposing force from the other tyres. now remove those opposing forces and 3/4 the weight. hmmmm thats some serious arse puckering you're in for fella!

Unless you're really pushing it through a storm I reckon you'll be right. As I said, I've seen it before and the bloke seemed OK with it.

Unless you're really pushing it through a storm I reckon you'll be right. As I said, I've seen it before and the bloke seemed OK with it.
yeah I know who you are talking about and he rides like a nanny He was not even aware of his mistake till I pointed it out to him:rolleyes:

Back