Illumination for license plate relocation

Addicted2it

Standard Bore
My R3 had the license plate relocated by the previous owner. It is now tucked way up under the back fender. The illumination comes from two small lights that are also the mounting bolts for the top of the plate frame. I have ordered a personalized license plate, but am now faced with having to rewire these two small lights. The wires are short and it will be very awkward to work in that small space trying to rewire, solder and heat-shrink the connections. Is anyone running a bike with a relocated plate and how do you illuminate that plate to make it street legal?

Thanks! :)

just pop the inner frame off the fender.
If I remember its just the 3 front bolts, and two Torx heads holding it all together,
(after you remove the fender bolts).
bend the wire holders open and you got lots of room to work then.
To answer the question,
Yes I've relocated my tag, and I'm fixing to weld on the inner frame some,
and relocate it again.
My tail light has leds for the tag light, so that may not help you,
but since I got a new tail light,
That I now have to modify the inner for yet again,
I'd sell my old one. (the one I'm currently using)
No wait, that wouldn't work for you either, its a chrome cats eye with built in turn signals that fits my bobbed fender.
Sorry. But the first part of this post should help you out on part of the problem.
Good luck,
skip

Last edited:
just pop the inner frame off the fender.
If I remember its just the 3 front bolts, and two Torx heads holding it all together,
(after you remove the fender bolts).
bend the wire holders open and you got lots of room to work then.

Thanks, Skip. That's a great idea! I'll check out the exploded view in my shop manual to see exactly where the bolts are and how the two pieces separate from each other.

Thanks again for the tip! :)

Glad you made it over here Addicted2it.
Alot of great guys and girls here.
Most are far more knowledgable than myself on anything Rocket.
But I ain't scared to tear it apart.

If you go with an aftermarket plate holder like I did, watch for the "shoulder bolts" not snugging down and allowing the plate assy to rattle. It takes extra washers or rubber grommets to take up the slack due to the difference in thickness.I went with the kind that tucks the tag up higher and pulls the turn signals in a few inches, several companies make similar plates, I found mine on ebay for $40.

For a while there I didn't think I was welcome here. I've posted before, but for some reason I was locked out of the whole system. The Mod said that I didn't complete the sign-up procedure correctly or I could have posted sooner, but all seems to be well now.

:)

We don't allow just any old riff-raff, you have to be a "special kind" of riff-raff to be accepted. :p

Back