Ignition (start switch) problem

STRIPES

\\\STRIPES/// going to the HD shop.
Ride
06 R3 Std
Of course this happens right before Maggie valley. I'm having a weird problem with my starter. Ignition on, kickstand up, kill switch on ...press the starter button...nothing. Mess with the kick stand... nothing. Get this.... turn the blinker on.... press the start switch and IGNITION! Anybody ever have any similar problems? Any ideas where to look?:confused:

You probably have what I had happen last year. The only cure is to get a new switch. If it is still under warranty, Triumph and the dealer will cover it. If not....hope you have some bucks. I heard that there is a cheap way to do it (ignition key cylinder) or the more expensive way (same but with all new keys. Someone will probably chime in soon on that...just saw the post on it a couple of weeks ago.

Dennis

60 dtg Dubai
61 dtg Home

I believe the symptoms of ignition switch failure are as varied as the colors with one exception; it won't start. :eek: Mine has been in the shop (dealer) for 10 days for the same problem and the whole kaboodle (three lock sets) is being replaced out of warranty but under warranty just the same. I'm getting a bit anxious right now.

I'd just finished the 12-minute tune and shut 'er down, then gathered my gear to head off to work and it was stone dead; with intermittent exceptions. The only signs of life were parking lights and illumination of idiot lights or individual idiot light groups with an ECM side solenoid engagement noise. Nothing else.

There is one individual here that got it covered, only two weeks ago, on an '05. I believe he had disassembled the switch and had photos of the guts to back up his claim. It would seem "cold solder" (repeating the term used) isn't reliable, and anyone of the contacts could be poor.

Last edited:
Not the same symptoms as mine. Lights come on, fuel pump runs, ECU boots. Everything works just fine except when I push the start button, nothing happens. Last time it happened, switching the high low switch did the trick?!?!? Or not.

I'm sure you've checked the battery for full charge state and good connections. As I said, symptoms vary: headache, nausea, achy tired feeling, having to get up numerous times during the night to simply dribble. Maybe you're not holding your mouth right:rolleyes::flame:Seriously though: Check connections at the battery and power to the starter. I had too much tied into the battery terminals (or a poor choice of connector sequencing), once upon a time and I had an intermittent no start condition. I had the main leads on top of the other terminals connectors and it would or wouldn't work. Energizing one thing or another may be the sudden additional current flow to break the bonds of oxidation, for awhile.

Last edited:
If it is the same as the problem I had, you need to check and see if the headlights come on when you are turning the key in the ignition. If they do not come on, you probably have the same problem I had. Not sure how far from a dealer you are but if he is close get it trailered down there (or push it....) and let him get going on the fix.

If you are lucky it may be the battery might be low but I would think you would hear the starter try to engage, however weak it may sound, and get it some charging power.

Good luck, I know the trip is coming up soon and you'd like to ride there.

Dennis

60 dtg Dubai
61 dtg Home

Thanks Molino...the battery stays hot (just replaced it with a 625). Lights come on just fine. Sometimes I push the starter button and it will begin to spin then quit. Pushing the button repeatedly makes no difference. Dead as a door nail....lights, blinkers, etc work normally still. I don't understand why flipping the blinker switch could have an effect on the hot wire ckt to the starter motor..... but it sure appears to:confused: I'm going to start tracing switch ckts today i.e. kick stand and clean connection contacts everywhere I can find them. Any recommendations for connector pooky.?

White dialectric (?) grease. Since the lights come on...that may rule out the ignition switch after all??????

Dennis

60 dtg Dubai
61 dtg Home

Back