Ignition relocation - alternate location?

jaredmt

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster
I want to relocate my ignition switch (too much stuff I want up in that area behind the fly screen), but I already have the typical spot used by my power outlet. This means it would have to be placed elsewhere.
Has anyone done this? If so ... where/what/when/how yadda yadda yadda ....

You cannot relocate the ignition from 2007 up. At least Rivco doesn't make the part and the steering lock cannot be moved.

Why not?
Who needs Rivco?
A soldering iron and a little wire,
and it should go behind any of the plastic pieces,
like the neck piece.
Just my opinion, haven't done it, but see no problem.

hehe ... I don't know if I trust my soldering skills with my bike's ignition switch. I really don't know why Triumph puts it up there ... the moment you try to have some fun w/ your instrument cluster area you're totally screwed.
For those that have relocated this w/ the Rivco kit ... just what kind of mess would I be getting myself into trying to rig it? (Like how many wires coming off that harness, etc?

Yamaha , Honda and others have had ignition fork locks for thousands of years (well, since the 80's). Triumph and Harley had their reasons I guess, but Triumph recently went to it and Harley still uses a padlock on most of theirs. It's the ignition fork lock mechanism that makes relocation a pain in the butt. I suppose disabling it could work to relocate the switch, seems like a big ol mess though.

I've relocated mine with the Rivco kit and it works fine.

That being said, if you remove the switch from it's stock location, you should be able to disconnect it from the harness under the tank and pull the switch end of the cable out from around the tree. Then reconnect to the harness and mount it in a hole cut in the right side plastic panel behind the tree. I don't know if it will fit but you can try.

Also, since you are messing around up there, it would be a great time to go ahead and fit a headlight relay. best bet to save your ignition switch from failure.

imho, the fork lock is not much of a deterent to someone who truly wants your bike. Like most bikes, a solid and forceful twist of the handlebars will snap off the pin anyway.

2006 was the last year the relocation kit worked. Shearing off a steel pin by twisting the bars?... haven't seen that one before.

When I lived in Austin, that was the way all the Jap bikes were stolen. Even had a captured thief demo it on TV. A pair of 'em would walk up to each side and hit the bars and, ping!, bars were free. The other method was to just jam or hammer a very large screwdriver down the keyslot, turn and drive away.

Back