Shimster1967

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket roadster
I press the ignition button nothing happens all lights on as they should just nothing at all.
Tested the starter relay I have one pin with 12.9v 2 with nothing and one with .3v, when I press the ignition button it goes up to 4.5v all others stay the same.
If I put a 12v on the pin which has 0v it starts as it should so I’m guessing when I press ignition I should get the pin to go from .3v to 12v tand that triggers the relay to put the 12v to the pin I connect the temporary 12v too.
Any idea what the problem could be, I also notice the horn doesn’t work either

Someone will be along soon with your answer. You seem pretty knowledgeable so this is probably too easy, but my guess would be the notorious ignition switch or the starter switch is bad. Ignition switch most likely if the horn is also affected, I would think.

Some thing to look at first. When you turn on your key, do your headlights come on? When you press the starter button, do the headlights go out? This will confirm you have power to the relay and the starter button is ok. The starter relay turns off power to the headlights when starting the bike which indicates it is a changeover relay. I think Triumph uses a type B, 5 pin changeover relay (see below). With the key on you should have 12 volts (battery voltage) on pin 30 and pin 87a (power to lights). When pressing the start button you should have battery voltage on pin 85, 86 powering the pull in coil and on pin 30 and pin 87 going to the starter solenoid with 0 volts on 87a. If the relay is clicking and nothing is coming out 87, then the contacts inside the relay could be fried. Pull the plastic cap off the relay and have a look.

1677415285016.png

Some thing to look at first. When you turn on your key, do your headlights come on? When you press the starter button, do the headlights go out? This will confirm you have power to the relay and the starter button is ok. The starter relay turns off power to the headlights when starting the bike which indicates it is a changeover relay. I think Triumph uses a type B, 5 pin changeover relay (see below). With the key on you should have 12 volts (battery voltage) on pin 30 and pin 87a (power to lights). When pressing the start button you should have battery voltage on pin 85, 86 powering the pull in coil and on pin 30 and pin 87 going to the starter solenoid with 0 volts on 87a. If the relay is clicking and nothing is coming out 87, then the contacts inside the relay could be fried. Pull the plastic cap off the relay and have a look.

1677415285016.png
Thanks for that pal I have the following
All off
12v on pin 85
Nothing on other pins

Ignition on lights come on but don’t go off
0.3v on pin 87
12v on pin 85
Nothing on other pins

Pressing starter button lights stay on
2.8 v pin 87
12v pin 85
Nothing on other pins

Thanks for that pal I have the following
All off
12v on pin 85
Nothing on other pins

Ignition on lights come on but don’t go off
0.3v on pin 87
12v on pin 85
Nothing on other pins

Pressing starter button lights stay on
2.8 v pin 87
12v pin 85
Nothing on other pins
The horn also is not working

If the horn doesn't work then check the tail light you may have a blown fuse.
Also you should have battery power on # 30
Ps sometimes the wires get rubbed under the rear fender.

What year is your bike?
When u press the starter button do you have the green neutral light on and the clutch pulled in?

1677415285016.png
Thanks @Gregger Excellent! I'm printing this out in case I need it in the future.

If the horn doesn't work then check the tail light you may have a blown fuse.
Also you should have battery power on # 30
Ps sometimes the wires get rubbed under the rear fender.
Yes I’ve got nothing on 30 tail lights all ok as they should be, only way I can start it is put a 12v directly on the pin 30 then it fires up perfect

Yes I’ve got nothing on 30 tail lights all ok as they should be, only way I can start it is put a 12v directly on the pin 30 then it fires up perfect

The member @idk has the wiring dia for all the rockets
I told you wrong #30 is not to battery that's the way my bike is wired with lights on relays.
Something seems wrong because w/o 12v on #30 u shouldn't have headlights on unless you have them to eastern beaver or on relays like mine.

Back