dragonfly

.020 Over
Every time I turn my bike to the right the power would shut off completely leaving me dead until I turned to the left again. So I had no dealers opened (Sunday) and towed my bike home waited patiently and called the dealer on Tuesday who told me I needed a new ignition and the part cost approx $178.00 and then there was the labor to change it out. OK, I am a little stubborn so I took everything off the front to access my switch and pulled the switch apart from the bottom. sure enough one of the solder connection was not connected, 5 minutes and put back together and works great now. I am lucky.

and it was the white wire that had come unstuck.

The headlights draw too much current through the ignition switch so unless you bypass it you will have the same problem again. There are several options, including some Eastern Beaver, but @DEcosse has the best solutions. The cheapest is possibly the one in my signature.

Last edited:
Every time I turn my bike to the right the power would shut off completely leaving me dead until I turned to the left again. So I had no dealers opened (Sunday) and towed my bike home waited patiently and called the dealer on Tuesday who told me I needed a new ignition and the part cost approx $178.00 and then there was the labor to change it out. OK, I am a little stubborn so I took everything off the front to access my switch and pulled the switch apart from the bottom. sure enough one of the solder connection was not connected, 5 minutes and put back together and works great now. I am lucky.

Good work saving yourself 178 bucks :p

I think I was the first one to have the problem, if not, then one of the first. Triumph replaced the complete set, after I insisted that they do so, under warranty. They initially wanted to replace only the ignition switch which would have meant carrying two keys, I was having none of that.

When the problem happened again I took the switch apart and repaired it. Soon after that I stopped using the key altogether.

Back